Changing a washer in a bathroom tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bathroom tap thats leaking badly and I have finally realised that I need to change the washer once and for all. Thing is, I cant get the so***ding tap apart to get at the washer.

If you imagine an old style tap that you might find on original iron bathes. It has a chrome cross shaped handle, on top of a chrome pole, which goes in to a dome'esque shaped cover, under which are the washer orientated bits.

The handle is held on the vertical pole by a small screw, whcih I have removed. And thats where I get stuck. The handle just wont budge. I thought perhaps the handle itself screws on to the pole, and is then held in place by the screw, but the handle wont budge in either direction, even with the help of a big hammer. I thought perhaps the handle pressed vertically on to the pole, so again my hammer came in to play, but the handle wont budge in the upward direction.

With the handle in place, i cant lift the dome cover high enough to get at the washer gubbins underneath. I can lift the dome high enough to know whats underneath, but no more.

Anyone know how the hell i get the handle of the tap?

Photo of my tap is here;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/olivermarshall/201924106/?rotated=1&cb=1154279720033

Ta

Ollt

Sponsored Links
Check to see if a screw is hiding under the H or C which you can prize off if not you either need more force when pulling handle up or a new tap

Hi

Spray a little dw40 or like on tap handle to spindle leave to soak in. Open tap and find a piece of wood you can put either side between tap handle and cover (bell shape). Tighten tap handle down that might move it.

This way takes it to pieces as a unit.
Open tap fully.
Loosen cover.
Undo valve nut.

Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Yes..............and you can overhaul those old BS1010 taps once you`ve got them apart..they`ll last forever ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back