Silly question about electricity.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For instance, I put my finger into a lampholder, would I die.

not thinking about doing it, but I just remembered when I was about 7/8 I put my finger into a lamp holder that did not have a bulb, I can remember it being quite a frightening experience for 2-3 secs... although I did not cry, I will certainly not forgot it!

by the way, this happened in spain, in bar toilet, a mirror light infact.
just wondering why i aint dead.

Sponsored Links
simple answer

you had your finger stuffed in the holder, so the electricty only flowed across your finger and your nerves felt it.

BUT NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

electricity has no prejudices, it kills anyone

In most cases the resistance of a fully-clad and shod human, standing on most domestic floor coverings will be very high, so only a tiny current can flow to earth. Unfortunately the experience of these minor 'tickles' leads many to believe that there is little to worry about and quite a few amateur sparks view the odd shock as an inevitable inconvenience.

Should you, however, present a slightly better fault path you will probably not be around to be further inconvenienced. It only takes a small current - 50mA - to kill in the 'right' circumstances.

Indeed. It takes a quite high voltage to cause burning damage to human tissue.

The risk of death from mains shocks are main due to:
1) The shock causing you to fall-over etc, and die from other means (e.g. head injury)
2) Cardiac arrest
The risk of no 2 is personal - you hearts can tolerate such shock, but the older you get...

Sponsored Links
thanks guys, yeah I was young... Dont know what I was thinking that night, I just put my finger in! silly boy

breezer said:
BUT NEVER DO IT AGAIN!

Don't worry mate, I learnt my lesson back then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back