Possible problem with motorized valve - or pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a pumped CH system, with a Potterton Suprima 50 boiler (and yes, I do have lockout problems). The past few days I've noticed radiators getting hot, even though the system is set to 'hot water only'. this morning the system did not fire up at all. When I tried it manually the pump ran for about 5 seconds, then stopped. This happened half a dozen times. So I left it for 10 mins, and tried again. After 5 seconds the pump seemed to falter, but then continued; and is working OK now. All bleeds are apparently OK.

Thanks

Max

Sponsored Links
OK, got to start somewhere:
Do you have a honeywell 3 port valve or something else?
What do you mean by "manually"?
Do you have a multimeter or similar to look for mains on the boiler (pump) terminal?

Chris

Thanks for prompt response. Unfortunately I'm at work now, so can't actually perform any tests till this evening. However, in answer to your questions:

Do you have a honeywell 3 port valve or something else? I do have a 3 port valve, and I think it's Honeywell. Actually I suspect that this is the faulty item, given the problem I've had with the central heating coming on when just Hot Water is set. If the valve is 'stuck' closed (assuming before it was 'stuck' open) I wonder if the pump will start, build up pressure and then stop, if the water has nowhere to go?

What do you mean by "manually"? I meant that I went to the airing cupboard and switched off the mains switch, and then switched it back on.

Do you have a multimeter or similar to look for mains on the boiler (pump) terminal? Yup

Cheers
Max

Metal top usually means honeywell. Sounds like it's stuck open, it's usually the spindle in the wet part of the valve, so a whole new valve required.

I wonder if the pump will start, build up pressure and then stop, if the water has nowhere to go?
No they don't do that. And there's always somewhere to go with a 3 port unless all rads are shut.

The pump should be supplied from the boiler (behind the rhs - remove one screw & slide cover forward for access) so you can check there.

Sounds like you have more than one problem...

Sponsored Links
Thanks Chris. Yes - I wired in the supply to the pump from the boiler as a separate lead last year. But I can't figure why the boiler starts - then stops - unless it's something more complex - perhaps to do with the boiler PCB (which might explain the lockout issue?).

Feels to me like I need to buy a valve - and then a PCB?! And just before the holidays...

Oh well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back