Glow Worm Fuel Saver 40 mkll flue gas temperature

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know the flue gas temperature of a Glow Worm Fuel Saver 40 mkll? Odd question I know, but I have had two quotes for a new flue liner and they differ on the type of liner required. When I questioned the fitters, one stated a class one liner was required because of high temperature and the other said a class two liner was OK because the flue gas temperature would not exceed 250c. When pressed both admitted they has never worked on this model before.
I contacted the manufacturer of Glow Worm twice but they have no knowledge of the boiler. I believe it to be a least twenty-two years old and is working perfectly apart from being full of soot caused by a hole in the existing flue liner. Please don't recommend I change it for a new one. A new liner will cost £423 and a new boiler £1900+.

Sponsored Links
hastings38 said:
.. I believe it to be a least twenty-two years old and is working perfectly apart from being full of soot caused by a hole in the existing flue liner.
Who says a hole in the flue liner would cause the boiler to be full of soot? And what is the reasoning behind this?

Hello chrishutt

I don't know this for sure, but small bits of corrugated metal dropped through the bottom of the boiler case. I showed these to a heating engineer at work and he suggested this was causing the soot (full of soot was a slight exaggeration. The combustion chamber was covered with soot when the case was opened). unfortunately he was not interested in private work so I called in the (domestic heating) profesionals. They both agreed the liner was to blame. Normally I would ask more questions but I'm out of my depth with gas. That's why I'm looking for info. It worries me that I use gas and electric heating, both potentially fatal, and know so little about them.

I think you or someone is making a lot of assumptions about the cause of the soot. You need a proper heating engineer to check the boiler using a Flue Gas Analyser. This will indicate the level of CO (associated with soot), excess air, efficiency, etc. I doubt if the boiler is burning properly if soot is being produced.

Also a smoke test is required on the flue to see if it's working properly and whether any flue gases are escaping, although a hole in a flue liner wouldn't usually have a significant effect on combustion. Don't waste any more time and money on so-called heating engineers who don't know how to carry out such basic checks.

Quite frankly, 22 years is very old for a boiler and you ought to be thinking in terms of replacing it anyway. That's another can of worms on which advice is often given here. But at least a new boiler (condensing) should be much more efficient resulting in lower fuel bills.

Sponsored Links
To answer the question, the flue pipe must be to BS567 and in accordance with BS5440 part 1 subclause 20.1.

BS 715 could be used but you would need an adaptor to the appliance spigot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back