socket box in skirting board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The socket boxes in my house have been mounted on the wooden skirting boards which are about 20cm high. I want the boxes to be flush, but the mains cables don't have enough slack to install the box in the wall above the skirting board.
Are there any regulations that say i can or can't install the box flush into the skirting board? and if i can does it matter if i use a metal or dry-lining back box?
Any replies would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
The socket boxes in my house have been mounted on the wooden skirting boards which are about 20cm high. I want the boxes to be flush, but the mains cables don't have enough slack to install the box in the wall above the skirting board.
Are there any regulations that say i can or can't install the box flush into the skirting board? and if i can does it matter if i use a metal or dry-lining back box?
Any replies would be much appreciated.
Im doing exactly the same im going to use junction boxes to make the connections to the new position of the sockets

that post was from 2006..

if you're using junction boxes then they cannot be hidden permanently, they need to be accessible for testing.

Sponsored Links
Im doing exactly the same im going to use junction boxes to make the connections to the new position of the sockets

You can't do that unless the JB's are going to be accessible (ie NOT hidden in the wall/behind the skirting). You need to extend the cables using the CORRECT ratchet crimping pliers, crimps, and heatshrink sleeving/self amalgamating tape.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back