Installing a PRV on cold inlet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

As a plumbing first-timer I'd be very gratefull for some directions on a project I'm keen to do myself.

I have purchased a replacement unvented undersink electric water heater. The old (dead) model had an integral pressure release valve . This one doesn't, but is supplied with the relevant part, which they tell you to fit on the cold inlet.

So...this is the bit I need to install:

I'm guessing I need to put one of these onto the cold supply:

and attach the PRV onto the "T", but how do I do that?? The PRV just has threaded ends. How do I attach the tee to those?

Also what would be the best way to extend the hot outlet to match the extra length on the inlet from this added pipework?

Also, when attaching a pipe into the compression fittings on the T, do I need to put plumbers tape or something on the pipe/thread?

I'm obviously going to need new sections of pipe, so will need to purchase a pipe-cutter. I have heard that having a decent one of these is important to getting a good seal. Can someone recommend a suitabe tool for a casual DIY'er who wants to do a good job?

I know there's a lot of rather basic questions there. We all have to start somewhere though!

All help very gratefully received.

James

Sponsored Links
612_28x1.jpg

with one of these ;)

K612

Thanks Kev.. but what is it called and how does it work?

What goes in each end and how? Surely you can't just screw 2 bits of metal together and expect a water tight seal? :confused:

I gather from the brevity of your reply that I'm generally on the right track at least?

I appreciate that these questions are rather tedious to answer so thanks a lot for the reply.

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
ptfe thread tape on the male thread on the prv and screw them together

the copper pipe goes straight in the other end ;)

Thanks. I take it they make them also with a male thread for inserting into the prv outlet? Do these have a name?

Oops, I thought K612 at the end of your first post was your name :oops:

Perfect:

Shame that place only seems to sell them in bags of 10!

kevplumb said:
its called (oddly enough )a heater tee and you can get them in compression

and if you kick they will get you one

Any reason to go for a compression fitting over push-fit? Push-fit seems so quick and easy it's very tempting to me.

personally i'd use yorkshire or endex but at the end of the day (it gets dark) personal prefeeance

BTW pushfit you need a proper pipe cutter or it will rip the "O" ring

kevplumb said:
..you need a proper pipe cutter..

As opposed to a hack-saw, or do you only consider certain pipe-cutters 'proper' pipe cutters?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back