Vokera boiler heating OK but hot water not firing up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Vokera boiler that is 12 years old and British Gas came to fix it because the hot water would not fire up unless the heating was switched on first, which made the flat very hot in the heatwave last week. They changed the firing switch and the diaphragm but now it is even worse! Now I have to switch the heating on about 3 times before it will fire up, and only then will the hot water fire up. Are there any suggestions as to what else could be wrong with it, or should I just get a new boiler as it is old for combi?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I will, I am just building up to taking another half day off to sit in and wait for them - whenever anything goes wrong with the boiler it always seems to take about 3 visits to sort it out

What more can I add to what Kev has already said.

The person who comes to repair the boiler MUST know how the boiler works. The fact that it is not working, along with knowledge of operate sequence, repair should be a doddle. Part changing will be a long and tedious approach.

What is your location?

I am in Wimbledon. I have called British Gas to come back this afternoon. I just thought someone on this site might have a few ideas that I could put to the British Gas Engineer in case they just say it is old and there is nothing more they can do.

I've never clapped eyes on a Flowmatic but know it's fairly standard, with a difference or two BG will know about.
Older combis often have 3 or 4 things not right, and fixing the apparent one or two seems to make them work. 3 and 4 hide until you 've left...
The non-lighting on CH could be by design - "anti short-cycling", or it could be number 5.
DP would have the whole thing stripped down and back working like new in the time it would take someone else :oops: to change the diaphragm!

Wonderful DP is an engineer in Glasgow, where it seems 3 out of 4 boilers are Vokeras.

ChrisR said:
Wonderful DP is an engineer in Glasgow, where it seems 3 out of 4 boilers are Vokeras.

This is actually very true. Must be because of the Scottish branch being there r summit. Suits me as Vokera's are a joy to work on.

Have they bled the white hw heat exchanger btw?

Paul, based on what the poster has said, what action would you take to rectify the fault.

Your post has knocked me off my perch. I have always read your posts with interest and admiration and did not for one minute think you would look down your nose at another RGIs efforts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back