Ventilation to a Worcester 350 Combi (needed or not)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently built an airing cupboard around a Worcester 350.

The cupboard construction is wood studding and plasterboard covering.

There is good service access to the top, bottom and sides.

There is a solid lockable wooden door on the front (it's in a bathroom).

But, I've been told by an electrician that I need to vent the cupboard because of the boiler (an opening at the top and one at the bottom). I'm happy to do this but it doesn't sound necessary to me.

Does this sound right? Isn't the boiler completeltly sealed apart from the outside vent?

Sponsored Links
Its a little late to think about wether it should be boxed in after you have done it!

Clearly you know more about gas safety than Worcester who designed and built the boiler!

They will say that you need minimum clearances all around the boiler and about 100 sq cm of ventilation at the bottom and top of the cupboard.

Oh yes and you MUST NOT store anything inside the cupboard.

I would recommend that you write to your house insurance telling them that you have chosen to box in your boiler contrary to the makers instructions.

Tony

Thanks for constructive advise Tony.

Just checked with the Worcester web resource and there are two configurations, both which have very differnt parameters (for vented/non-vented & door/no door).

Thankfully, I'm well within the tollerances if I have a vented compartment.

I think i'll hold fire writing to my insurers just yet.

Keep up the good work guys.

Its NOT in accordance with Gas Safety Regulations but I often suggest that when the boiler is high up then the lower vent is better put just below the boiler.

This prevents the inevitable situation of the lower vent getting blocked by buckets and wellies.

Oh yes, you also need a Warning Notice saying that nothing should be stored in the cupboard!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Makes good sense with the venting idea Tony.

I'll probably do as you suggest but keep the vent at the bottom also to maintain Gas Safety Regs.

Apart from having adequate air flow properties is there any special requirement of the vent itself? Height/Width/Material?

Also, Just to be absolutely clear - this vent is OK into an internal room of the house (Zone 3 area of the bathroom in this case)?

Also, Worcester indicate the compartment should be BS 6798 compliant.

All web searches lead me to the BSi website which charges £98 for the spec :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back