CH system choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently I have a open vented conventional system on which the boiler needs changing...problem is it has virtually been trouble free for years, but the boiler is on its last legs and I need to make a decision...do I change to a combi system or just replace the boiler with a modern condensing unit. I had decided to change to a combi but issues with boiler location, extra pipework routing, and condensate disposal issues has caused a re-think.

I need advice on what to do....people tell me combis are more prone to problems most of the time and generally require qualified attention when a problem appears; where as, with my present system many of the problems that occur are DIYable. My only reason for changing really would be economical - in that respect, would a combi be more economical to run? Is it worth changing and risking more expensive system maintenanace?...would any long term economical benefits outweigh possible maintainance costs?

Regarding replacing the boiler with same, I have seen a possible replacement; the Vaillant Ecomax Pro (open vent) - any views on that boiler?...only thing is, on reading the info on that model it says the domestic HW cylinder must be of the "double feed fully indirect type" - presently I have what I know as a combi cylinder with an immersion heater fitted too. Can somebody tell me what the mentioned type is (if different); preferably by directing me to a picture.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back