Programable room thermostats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I am getting a new boiler fitted.
What is the difference between a time clock and a programable room themostat. I have ssen thermostats which has a 7 day programme can i use one of these instad of a time clock to control the central heating.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
time clocks are what were invented years ago they tell the time.

if you mean a time switch these just turn on or off at a specific time

basic "programmers" were just two independant on / off times controlled by the same "clock"

with the advent of technology some bright spark thought it a good idea to make a programable room stat too. (you still need a programmer)

programable room stats have user adjustable preset temperatures.

so say from
0630 to 0830 20 degrees
0830 to 1600 15 degrees
1600 to 2000 20 degrees
2000 to 2200 18 degrees
2200 to 0630 16 degrees

a programmer is either off or on, a prog room stat can change preset temp acording to time of day

I should point out i made all the settings up, but you get the idea

Cheers
I will go for a programable thermostat.

Sponsored Links
are you sure about that?

i am not saying with just a prog stat it wont work, i am asking in regard to a reg

Yep

Dunno about regs, but he would not want a programmer with a combi. If regs stated times of 'off' (i.e. not just 5C setting on a prog stat) were needed, he would need a timeswitch (not a programmer) as well.

A timeswitch is a simple unit that has a set timbase for two on/ offs every 24 hours.
A programmer is a timeswitch that allows different selections each day of the week.
A prostat is what breezer has already stated.

Regs say you need a timing device (a boiler interlock is calls it) and a minimum of 1 form temperature regulator ( a room thermostat) thus a programmable stat meets this requirement. TRV's are 'Best practise@ but not required to meet regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back