Programable room thermostats

Gasman1015 said:
breezer said:
you still need a programmer (which is what i also said)

No, a programmable room stat is a programmer.

now that i dont believe (sorry)
if one day prog sta gave up its not a prob to change it to a mechaincal stat, where's your programmer now?

also a programmer determines hat time water should come on as well as heating (assuming no combi)

Sponsored Links
Wiring for prog stat is different than ordinary roomstat, anyway if it broke, you replace like for like.

Programmable roomstat are used mainly for combis, being single channel.

Gasman, I have a combi boiler (Vaillant VCW 242), a cylinder, a programmer for (cylinder) HW and two programmable roomstats to control two zones.

Wiring a programmable roomstat is (virtually) the same. If a battery powered roomstat was to be used, two wires are required (red live in and yellow switched live back if four wire cable was run in). If a mains powered roomstat is used, all four wires would effect the connection- exactly the same as a mechanical roomstat (live, neutral, switched live and earth).

you supposed to have three forms of control. 1. trv. 2. room stat. 3. boiler stat. dont believe you actually have to have a time switch.boilers (combis) generally have an on off switch.

Sponsored Links
DP said:
Gasman, I have a combi boiler (Vaillant VCW 242), a cylinder, a programmer for (cylinder) HW and two programmable roomstats to control two zones.

Wiring a programmable roomstat is (virtually) the same. If a battery powered roomstat was to be used, two wires are required (red live in and yellow switched live back if four wire cable was run in). If a mains powered roomstat is used, all four wires would effect the connection- exactly the same as a mechanical roomstat (live, neutral, switched live and earth).

Then you have a similar setup to my own house, which is totaly irrelevant to the subject, which was you do not need an additional programmer with a programmable stat in normal circumstances, and virtually the same is not the samefor wiring.

DP said:
A timeswitch is a simple unit that has a set timbase for two on/ offs every 24 hours.
A programmer is a timeswitch that allows different selections each day of the week.
A prostat is what breezer has already stated.

no,
A timeswitch is a single channel unit, usually used to control your heating from a combi or to control an extra heating zone.
A programmer is a two (or more) channel unit, usually controlling heating and hot water.
24hour vs 7day has nothing to do with it, neither does number of on/offs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back