The quest for a powerful shower...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a ground floor 2 bed, 1 bath flat with mains cold water at high pressure (around 4 bar). The combi boiler is a Worcester 24CDI and could be about 10 years old. The boiler is currently faulty and needs a good service, but what's more of a concern is that when it does work the pressure coming out of the hot taps is pathetic - barely strong enough to get me wet.

Now here's the rub. I want a very powerful shower. It's very important to my working day that I get this. So, what's the best way of achieving this? Our plumber has suggested a 150l megaflo unvented cylinder (about £500) purely to feed the shower and then run the rest of the system off the existing combi boiler. Is this a good solution? What is the best way of achieving a good drenching given that the mains pressure is very good. I'd like to make sure that this is £500 well spent.

Many thanks in advance for your advice.

Sponsored Links
i think you need better advice of another plumber as what hes saying is s*&t

holty said:
i think you need better advice of another plumber as what hes saying is s*&t

I must disagree, a 24kW combi really would not give great pressure to hot tap, why do you think he is talking sh1t holty?

I think your plumber is spot on (IF the mains pressure is adequate if it aint you should install a open vent cylinder with a pump instead of megaflow)

Sponsored Links
because as stated the boilers faulty needs servicing, and is ten years old. you would probably disagree but in the long run it could be better replacing the boiler with a more powerful and efficient one. as for saying the plumber was talking s*%t i think it was a bit to harsh i apologise

Thanks guys. The mains pressure is very strong, which is I think why he was proposing an unvented system.

Holty... out of interest, what would you suggest if you think he is wrong?

Corgiman, Nige - would this solution be better/more cost-effective/more powerful than simply buying a new combi boiler with a high output?

Can you recommend a good unvented system for this kind thing?

Cheers

depends really on what quotes you have had, remember a bigger combi needs a bigger gas supply, and i think i am right in saying that even the biggest combi will not be as good as an unvented cylinder?

So I've been told.

so if i understand this right, the existing boiler plus an unvented cylinder would be more powerful than even a very powerful combi boiler, and at £500 probably quite a bit cheaper too... is this right?

larpo said:
So I've been told.

so if i understand this right, the existing boiler plus an unvented cylinder would be more powerful than even a very powerful combi boiler, and at £500 probably quite a bit cheaper too... is this right?

:eek: :eek: :eek:

where does he gets his unvented cylinders??????????

that is an amazing price to supply and fit one, considering the G3 registration and Part P etc too amazing if you ask me ;)

check yon fellas qualifications and install the cylinder and wiring it up at no five minute job

That's just the cylinder, not the work. The work is as part of a much larger quote for building the bathroom, moving the existing boiler etc. etc.

he's not corgi registered (i asked), but he says all the work will be certified by a plumber who is.

Fitting and wiring up an unvented does NOT come under CORGI registration

but it does come under building reg G3 and Part P (Electrics)

if you are really going to go down the unvented route (best way in my opinion), I've got a brand new 300 ltr indirect megaflow, legitimate and unopened which you could have for a lot less than recommended price. Then your partner can have a shower as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back