British Gas Branded Boilers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had a quote from British Gas to remove a conventional gravity fed heating and hot water system ( 7 Rads, cylinder and pipework is 40+ years old and Baxi boiler although fully working is 22 years old) and replace all with a combi condensing system into a 3 bed bungalow. The price quoted after “special” discounts is £5700 inc vat for everything.

The sales man said that this price is for a British Gas Branded boiler which is made by Bosh, model BG832. Does anyone have any opinions on these BG branded boilers. The sales man also said that they could fit a cheaper boiler (£500 less) and said it would be an Ideal or Promax.

Just need to know if this is a “Fair” price and what do people know about these British Gas boilers.

I know the job could be done cheaper if a sourced the parts from Mrcentralheating or somewhere and then got a local installer to fit but we want a proper job done which is why our first option has to try British Gas.

All opinions welcomed

Sponsored Links
I wont comment on the price

but you say you want BG to install the boiler to ensure that it is a good job, bet you dont know that BG hardly ever fit their own boilers and subbie it out to local contractors (and pay em apittance for the priviledge)

So going to BG is as much of a gamble as trawling throu Yellow pages

Can no one recommend a decent installer to you? you are bound to save a bundle and get a good job done

as for the BG branded boiler, there only have a BG sticker on em they are still glowworms, worcester bosches etc no need to worry over that

Not quite so much of a gamble, I think - if it goes wrong you can complain to British Gas and they are unlikely to go bust or run away to spain.

But they do seem quite expensive.

Sponsored Links
onceceltic said:
The price quoted after “special” discounts is £5700 inc vat for everything.

All opinions welcomed

Out of interest what price did your other quotes come in at :?:

Our price would be about half of that!

I do have to say that if your rads are 40 years old then I would strongly suggest that they were changed and that would bring the price up to about £1000 less than BG.

Otherwise I would want to keep it as an open vented system.

Tony

If you don't know who to use, ask your local authority who they use for their social housing

You may not get the best, but at least you won't get the worst

no comment on price here too. But "god" i love priceing jobs against them. ......lets put it this way.... I wouldn't pay there prices. :evil:

Thanks for the replies,

thanks to corgiman I enquired with the BG salesman if he could ensure that the work is done by BG engineers, he went quiet and said NO, but if would be done to BG standards :eek:

We have gone with a local heating firm (Corgi registered and spoken to peolpe in the area who have used them)

They have given us a price of £3700 for exactly the same work. They will be fitting a Worster Bosh 32 CDi boiler which they say is the exact same boiler that BG quoted for, Only difference is that without the British Gas badge on it, Worster give it a 3 year waranty instead of only one year if it is Branded British Gas. oh and they are including a nice wireless remote control instead of the wall clock the BG were suggesting

onceceltic said:
Thanks for the replies,

thanks to corgiman I enquired with the BG salesman if he could ensure that the work is done by BG engineers, he went quiet and said NO, but if would be done to BG standards :eek:

We have gone with a local heating firm (Corgi registered and spoken to peolpe in the area who have used them)

They have given us a price of £3700 for exactly the same work. They will be fitting a Worster Bosh 32 CDi boiler which they say is the exact same boiler that BG quoted for, Only difference is that without the British Gas badge on it, Worster give it a 3 year waranty instead of only one year if it is Branded British Gas. oh and they are including a nice wireless remote control instead of the wall clock the BG were suggesting

sounds like same old tale i hear all the time from many of installers that have priced against BG

I for one am going to start charging BG prices, maybe I can take a weekend off then

:):):)

corgiman said:
I for one am going to start charging BG prices, maybe I can take a weekend off then

i would love too as well but at the end of the day i want to bump into my customers at the local supermarket and be able to look them in the eye ;)

Ditto, after yesterdays saga in Brid 'cause noone over there answers the phone one of my really ace landlady customers (I mean it she's really good payer and has houses built I do all her plumbing so very good customer) needed me to urgently fit a combi today.

Don't know how the business is going to be in any kind of shape for me to leave it in incapable hands for two days when I go on my Worcester Jolly. But I must go to Worcester need to take advantage of a free jaunt.

I bet BG wouldn't have turned out today so a landlady could have heating back on in one of her flats. And they would have charged about 1,300 more than me and probably wouldn't have fitted a boiler buddy.

problem is guys that everyone is using BG prices to get their jobs .we should be going along with them, theres enough work out there and we could do half the work and retire earlier which would help the unemployment register.

micky p said:
corgiman said:

i would love too as well but at the end of the day i want to bump into my customers at the local supermarket and be able to look them in the eye ;)

Not a problem. You'll be having the groceries delivered by Fortnum & Mason.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back