New bathroom advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are in the process of fitting a new bathroom and want advice on the selection of shower equipment.

The house is 170 years old, hot water via boiler on ground floor and a 1050 x 450 cylinder in airing cupboard in bathroom, cold seems to be mains fed as when we turn off stop tap cold stops immediately. There is a small tank with a float valve in loft over the cylinder but I think this is just an expansion/fill tank for the cylinder and doesn't supply the cold taps.

We would like to remove the airing cupboard by moving the cylinder to loft space and fit a rainforest shower head with a thermostatic mixer in a wetroom as part of the bathtoom fittout.

I have a couple of queries.

I take it we will need to fit a bigger cold tank and use this to feed the cylinder and shower only via a pump. If so what size cold tank... 50 gallon?? Similarly, we will probably replace the cylinder with a new one and ideally move to loft, under the new tank - but clearance is an issue - can you get a cylinder and water tank with enought capacity for the shower into a 1500m height clearance - can you get short wide cyclinders instead of the usual 450mm round type or will we have to leave the cylinder in the airing cupboard and just fit the new tank in loft.

Shower pump - negative or positive...is 2 bar enough, recommended brands - I want a trouble free unit at reasonable cost. Should this be fitted at base level of the cylinder to pump up/down to the shower rose depending on whether it is sited in the loft or remains in airing cupboard.

Still at early stages yet but keen for advice so that I can plan the room layout based on whether the airing cupboard and cylinder has to stay or not.

I will be using a plumber for the install but want to get the background info so that I can sort out the basic layout and get the builders to do the structural work on walls.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
By the way, cold water pressure is pi** poor, if that has any bearing on advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back