Cistern Valve not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi people,

Last week I had a leak from my toilet. The leak was coming out of the overflow pipe. The water flow was not stopping when the float reached the top. I got the plumber round who fitted a new Torbeck cistern. That seemed to do the job, but today I find the darn thing is happening again! (after I fitted new carpets in the bathroom - how very fustrating!!)

PS Im in a second floor flat if that has anything to do with it, water pressure???
Please please help a novice DIYer (obviously)

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
The warning pipe ( overflow ) should safely discharge to the outside.

I would assume that you only have your new carpet indoors ?

Tony

I'm puzzled that your overflow pipe empties onto the carpeted floor instead of through the wall.

However if it was a professional plumber and you paid him, and the job was done within the last week, ask him to come back and fix it. As all the pro plumbers on here will tell you, they take enormous pride in doing a quality job and will not hesitate to fix it for free.

p.s. has there been recent work on the water mains? I am wondering if rust or scale has been dislodged, washed up th epipes and stuck in the float valve.

Sponsored Links
Hi JohnD,

Thanks for reply, the were some raod works a few streets away today, dont know what for though. Im just wondering why after having the cistern replaced last week its leaking again.
OK the over flow pipe must be blocked somewhere near the exit, but the main problem remains, I dont want to keep leaking through the overflow pipe continuously forever, also not keen on paying the 65 quid call out charge.

Thanks

Dave

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back