Telltale signs - cowboy plumbers and heating engineers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would appreciate it if some more experienced heads than mine would comment on this topic!

What are the things to look for in a decent honest plumber or central heating engineer? For example, I guess they should be CORGI registered if they are dealing in gas?

What is normal practice (fair service) and what would you say were some of the more obvious signs that someone is pulling a fast one?

Sponsored Links
Anything to do with gas should be CORGI registered but dont take their word for it ask to see their photocard!

Avoid the first name and mobile number. ALL genuine people have a SECOND name and a landline number ( and an address ).

Tony ( ? ) ( 07956 440480 )

I've left me photocard in the van, you don't want me to go all the way downstairs to fetch it, do you?

Now thats a good cowboy reply, just ask him to go and get his card and you will not see him again!

Sponsored Links
My office number is ......... but the new receptionist is a bit dozy and doesn't know us all, so you're best calling my mobile.

BTW when I looked in the van I found I'd left my photocard at home, but if you pay me now I'll come round and show it to you next time I'm in the area.

agile you talk some ******,i would need a wallet the size of a toolbox to carry all the cards needed nowadays lets list a few
company id/swipe card
corgi company no
corgi personal
hvca card
cssr card
unvented
mobile towers
cherry picker
driving licence,need i go on the pc brigrade and hse are all encouraging illegal activities due to the amount of red tape and paperwork any honest tradesmen has to deal with nowadays.i have never been asked to produce my corgi card in all my registered years but always have it in the van so please do not tar everyone with the same brush. :rolleyes:

Darn it. I'm not a genuine person. I don't have a BT number. I told the wife that switching to NTL would affect our social status but all she was interested in was having some nice green numbers to look at on the set top box. Aaarghhh.

I have edited it to a "landline" now but wasted six more characters!

There is another aspect to not being a cowboy, thats to have your landline number in the telephone book?

Surely having an address, landline telephone listing and name are only what any legitimate business would always have? Why should plumbers be any different ( unless there were a high proportion of cowboys ? ).

Tony

My missus would get well ****ed off answering calls looking for me all day long so I guess I will stay a cowboy with my mobile as contact, at least I have a surname :D
Pete

Well put on my Ten Gallon Hat and call me Trigger. I ain't got my landline number in the book cos NTL don't have a book. At this rate I'm becoming more cowboy than John Wayne. Think I'll take a day off tomorrow to contemplate the error of my ways and seek guidance towards a new career.

NTL numbers are in the same directory as BT numbers (unless you are ex-directory).

You do not have to acquire a wife to answer your business phone, you have have it on answerphone when you are out, and give a message stating your business name, and give your mobile number.

Fair point John.
However most customers expect a decent to plumber to busy on a job and so mobile contact is the norm.
Of course how you present yourself on providing a quote ie detailed on paper speaks volumes.
Pete

I like the JohnD approach speaking from a customer's perspective. Give out the landline (answer) and only use Mobile for emergencies.

It can be pretty frustrating when you are paying for someone's time only for their mobile to go off and them spend time talking to prospective (or worse, angry) customers when you are waiting in for them to finish. To be fair, that's not often but I've known it a few times.

When I have a meeting - I turn the phone onto silent and let it go to voicemail. Nothing to do with cowboyism, it's just courtesy isn't it.

CDG, its amazing how many "plumbers" have never been on a customer care course and have no idea what a customer looks for.

The first thing before engaging anyone is to know that you are going to speak to an established business with a track record and a landline number and name of the company or proprietor evidenced by an entry in the business listing of the BT Telephone Directory and Yellow Pages.

A mobile number, no telephone listing, no address or surname is the epitome of a cowboy who does only "cash jobs" and is totally untraceable and irresponsible when his poor quality job goes wrong.

Tony Glazier

0208 205 40 80
07956 440 480

Agile said:
A mobile number, no telephone listing, no address or surname is the epitome of a cowboy who does only "cash jobs" and is totally untraceable and irresponsible when his poor quality job goes wrong.

Nothing wrong in doing "cash jobs" Tony. Thats how a lot of us survive its my beer money, I`d Rather it be in my backpocket than give it to that ****** Gordon Brown ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back