SOCKETS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently changed my kitchen sockets from plastic to stainless steel lookalike, but I keep getting a shock from 2 of the sockets the rest in the kitchen are fine.

Sponsored Links
What sort of a shock?

Static spark when you touch one, and then nothing, or a tingling?

Have you checked for trapped wires?

Is there a proper earth connection on the sockets?

Do you think that maybe you should call an electrician, given that you have created a possibly lethal problem that you don't know how to investigate or solve?

Incidentally, if you get a bit of a shock when you touch it with warm dry hands, when you are wearing shoes and socks, then you can expect to get a much worse one if you have wet hands, are not wearing shoes, or are touching some other piece of metal (such as the sink, or a kettle, cooker or toaster) with your other hand.

If you have children in the house they are particularly likely not to wear shoes, and I would be very anxious about the risk of shock.

Problem solved ! A socket under the worktops that I had fitted, the plate fixing screws were touching the back of a shallow box I have now re-fitted with a deeper box and all is well. Thankyou for your suggestions.

Sponsored Links
it sounds like there is something badly wrong, relying on plate screws is just about tollerated for earthing the backbox but i certainly wouldn't rely on it for earth continuity to a socket.

is there any earth wire going to the earth terminal on the socket?

bowtan said:
Problem solved ! A socket under the worktops that I had fitted, the plate fixing screws were touching the back of a shallow box I have now re-fitted with a deeper box and all is well. Thankyou for your suggestions.
That cannot possibly have been the cause.

Your problem is not solved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back