Want to fit a a non-condensing boiler to rented property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all ;)

I've got a rented property that i've just done a Kitchen refit on. I'm putting CH in also, therefore I'm gonna need a combi boiler. I want a Vaillant TurboMAx 824E, as i don't want continuous plumber repair bills over the next few years (which I would get with a cheaper boiler).

The condensing version of this boiler is approx £1200 :eek: :eek: . But I can get a non-condensing version PLUS all rads, TRV's + pipes etc for approx £1100.

Now I know your supposed to put in a non condensing (Bldg Regs etc etc) boiler in, but I'm not too bothered about the gas bills as the tenants are gonna be paying. I just want reliability. It's not as if I'm putting in a joke of a boiler, I'm putting in a brand spanking new Vaillant. If you look at 90% of the population, I bet they've got much more in-efficient boilers than i'm wanting to fit.

Question is........what is to stop me from going for the cheaper option + saving approx £500. My plumber is gonna be doing the Landlord Safety Cert. in September + has said it's all ok as long as he don't fit it.

Any thoughts......thanks

Sponsored Links
Not too bothered about gas bills? What about the environment? Fuel conservation - No?
The building regs concerning this aren't there to be a pain in the jacksie!

Fair point timbalcombe, but it's not as if i'm putting in a seriously in-efficient boiler......a condensing boiler is approx 10-15% more efficient i think. They were perfectly acceptable only last year were they not?

If your gonna talk about environment, what about motor vehicles? air travel? lack of government incentives for environmental options (ie, lack of grants for dual fuel cars, wind turbines, solar panels) The Govt. havn't got a clue about environmental measures....instead of incentives they're just gonna tax us as much as they can get away with.

For example.....the most recent Bldg Regs revisions are gonna insulate buildings to the hilt, + thereby increase the requirement artificial means of cooling. Sticking in a few condensing boilers isn't gonna do anything when you put it up againt industry + air travel. We can all do our bit, but it's about priorities........not just pick + mix legislation.

I am not too concerned about what you want to fit, as you say its still pretty efficient.

What does bother me is that you are going to use a cheap illegal non CORGI registered person to fit it and then expose your tenants to possible danger.

Even though the installation may be ( illegally ) issued with a Gas safety Certificate that cannot cover all aspects of the installation.

The boiler warranty will be severely limited if its not fitted by a CORGI.

Tony Glazier

Sponsored Links
Do what you like, just don't ask me to service it. Its a slippery slope when landlords start to decide which laws apply to them and which don't.

As it happens I am both gas engineer and landlord, and I work entirely in the social housing rented sector.

What sort of replies did you expect?

Alfredo

This is an attitude which gives LLs a bad name.

You have to gas work notify every job by law; if you don't, Building Control can fine you. Personally, I hope they do. They will be especially interested if you gas work notify a non condenser.

Getting a subsequent CP12/CP1 certificate does not legitimise the installation or excuse your responsibilities to protect your tenant. CORGI prosecute where unregistered and unqualified people install boilers and get it signed off afterwards.

As an aside, in my opinion an ecoTEC is a much better engineered boiler than the old mild steel Vaillant non-condensing range, and you are an arrogant fool.

Until 2 years ago, my Bro and I owned over 45 rental properties, so I'm qualified to criticise. I've no doubt you will expect your tenant to behave in a legal and honourable manner; it is a shame you do not apply the same standards yourself.

well not all gas work

only replacements and new installs, mind you once CORGI realise how much they could earn we will have to notify everytime we change a thermocouple

give em time

BTW if i am wrong let me know quick :eek:

I meant every installation of an appliance, rather than a new fan motor.

Thanks for clarifying

You cannot be too sure these days

Might have to notify The powers that be that i have scratched me nuts soon

peca27 said:
Fair point timbalcombe, but it's not as if i'm putting in a seriously in-efficient boiler......a condensing boiler is approx 10-15% more efficient i think. They were perfectly acceptable only last year were they not?

If your gonna talk about environment, what about motor vehicles? air travel?

What about them? The point here is a gas boiler not planes or cars, and you have to fit a condensing boiler in by law. End of story. Just so you can save £100. Another Rackman in the making.

DO IT PROPERLY!!!!

Pesonally mate..I`d lash it in as cheap as chips...at least you haven`t got to live there...can`t see a problem..

Do what ever you like mate

as long as you realise that it is against the law and as a landlord if you get nicked you will feel the full wait of the law hit you like a ton of bricks

but knowing corgi and our boys in blue like i do you should get away with no hassle

:)

joking apart your a grown up, you know the score, YOU make the decsion

:)

Bamber gaspipe said:
Pesonally mate..I`d lash it in as cheap as chips...at least you haven`t got to live there...can`t see a problem..

Should he put a booby trap on it as well to kill the tenants?

as for the envioment. the household co2 that is emmited is accountable for 1/3 of the our emmisions then 1/3 is cars. so in effect by reducing the household emmisions is equally an effect as reducing them on cars....moving on from our precious world....

As for installation of non condensing combis. I had a situation a few months ago. I went to do a landlord check at this house like i did the year before. There was an old floor mounted boiler in before and when i went back there was a brand new biasi SE combi installed. I had a good idea a non corgi/ plumber installed it as the pipework was a mess and plastic fittings everywhere. Other than rough installation there was nothing wrong with the installation. getting to the point...where do i stand on this as a responsable corgi reg engerneer? What can corgi do about it? I think there are not enough powers to stop this type of diy installations on gas these day.

grumble over.

I seem to recall the CO2 from homes was 23% which gives more scope to accommodate the industrial CO2 when air travel is 33%.

There is no such thing as a Biasi SE boiler!

In theory all you can do is report the boiler installer to Building Control as its a "Controled" installation but the likelyhood of them being interested enough to even take the details over the telephone is small. They are much more interested in electrical Part P situations.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back