Fitting wall mounted bath shower mixer valve

H

HiZ

Hi,

Im re-doing my bathroom and wondering about the bath taps/shower.

i'd like a combi in the future (gravity just now) and I want to install a shower/bath valve tap mixer.

Such as http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?cId=A434879&ts=47282&id=81142

However, how do I best install this on a wall. I have an outside wall against the side of the bath which would be fine and also the end wall which is a partition to a bedroom (only 3-4inch thick).

I guess the partition is a no-go as there is nothing strong to fasten the pipes to. Could I chase out the brick wall and cement in some pipes with elbow's in the wall coming from the floor?

Or shall i just use the bath surface mounting kit which comes with it. Wall mounted would look cool though..

Help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Strip the plasterboard off the stud wall, fit additional noggins and/or plywood to fix the mixer to, run all pipes within the stud wall, reboard with Aquapanel and tank then tile.

A bit like the wall mounted taps in this pic
Jason

HiZ said:
Could I chase out the brick wall and cement in some pipes with elbow's in the wall coming from the floor?

:confused:

the best way i have found for this style of shower bar onto a solid wall (dunno the screwfix one admittedly) is that bristan or deva or someone like that do a mounting kit which is two chrome 3/4" pillars fixed to a metal backplate you can attach to the wall you have chased out to a depth allowing pipes to be covered afterwards, but you should sleeve or protect the pipes if copper before you cement them in.
the mounting kit can also be used screwed onto a noggin in a stud wall if you need.
advantage of the mounting kit is that it can't come loose when you fit or replace the shower bar.
a decent plumbers merchant will be able to supply the backplate.

You can also get a metal prefabricated frame (Fischer?) to hold the valve and pipes rigid between studs.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Additional studding over the top sounds good but the bath is slotted into a gap just the exact length and width (at one end) so making the wall wider wouldn't work. :(

As the studding isn't the usual either I can't fit a noggin. Its that stuff with cardboard squares inside between the sheets. Looks like you buy it in sheets as a whole wall. House is 1959 so I guess that was the norm then.

Sounds like Paramount Partitioning, don't fix to this, get a wall mounting kit as mentioned above and fit to the solid wall.

Jason

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back