how do i get rid of AOL 's browser page

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi , i ve got aol as my provider, lol, i know; but.....how do or stop, to be more precise, their browser page or search engine from dominating and slowing down my connection.

i have p4 processor, windows xp, and i just want to connect through the modem they give me and not have to go through their browser , other's i know can set up their connection through windows , ie set up connection , but aol seem keen to make this difficult, any help is needed.

oh this is a mates comp im on ata the mo. thx. :(

Sponsored Links
Grab a cheapo router (ensure its AoHeL compatible) (if you get one off AOL it will come pretty much preconfigured), uninstall the crap of the pc, the router will have an (almost) always on conenction as will the pc via the router.

lmao, thanks eggplant, a steep learning curve. ;)

yup its already messin n updatin my comp, when it ran fine; now is full of AOHELL , just in 1 hr, it reboted n installed a windows update, changed operating systems, n worst of all wont let me download n upload ; u gotta laugh, heheeh. never again.

keep sharing guys, thx again. bewty :D

windows update isnt theor fault, cant say about the rest though...

Sponsored Links
mmmm it reconfigured settings to default on a boot up and well the rest is history. ill surgest and sort out the cheapo root, get isp name n serv proxy settings of them.

funny thing is i tried to get some info of 'em earlier; u know on the phone, lmao was that weird , some geezer in asia somewhere thought i wanted to reset my password to log in, n couldnt grasp that i wanted to know isp's, n stuff, i had to give up n say yeh reset it to...well guess...lol.

hehehe, ill keep try the pooter on the rooter at the weekend, thx eggplant.

If its any conciliation I have AOL installed and use a Netgear DG834GT Router without any problems, just followed these instructions from AOL;
AOL keyword Router said:
What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL?

When setting up a router, you will be prompted to enter certain details that govern the type of connection you establish. Depending on the hardware you have, the way in which you enter these details may differ. However, you are likely to be prompted to enter them during the installation of your router and also a wireless adapter, should you choose to use a wireless setup.

Some router installation guides will automatically enter some of these details. Therefore, you may not be prompted for them all. In other cases, the options will be named differently. If you experience problems setting up your chosen home networking solution, you should refer to the documentation included with the device.

Required Details:

Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword
You can then use explorer or firefox to view the internet and AOL just for emails, you can use outlook but I found it a farce. When first logging onto AOL you will need to add a new location and select your new modem/router.

yes, info u gave was a big help n confirmed what i thought, thx spark.

although; on 'aohell', u still have to go through there servers n stuff, at least the browser n comp config will be surpressed, lol.

hopefully ill get a true 2 meg connection and not some laggy 3rd party nanny. :)

hehehe n1 empip, yeh and we pay for the privilege....well.... :LOL: :evil: ...u know.

i'll tell my m8 whose with lol , aol. stop ur debits n wait for the baillifs, use the connection 4 free as long as he can with a router and get a new supplier. thx guys,

keep sharin n be good :)

Sponsored Links
Back