Radiator removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have a combi boile rcentral heating system. All the radiators have a valve at either side, which are identical in appearance and both can be turned by hand. In the past i have easily removed the rads by screwing down woth plastic caps at either end. However at the weekend i went to remove the kitchen rad, i did as i normally down but when i unhook the input from the radiator i got a high pressure jet of central heating juice in the face. I had never in the past removed that rad so i just thought the issue was localised. However last night i tried the hall one which i have done in the past and the same thing happened. When both the caps are screwed down there is no heat in the radiator but trying to remove it relates in the same jet of water.

I have looked around all the FAQ and removal instructions and they all appear to suggest closing the lockshield using a spanner after removing the plastic cover. I assum that twisting the cover on my rads did the job of shutting of the water. As i say i have done it in the past without problem. Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
When i originally took of the radiators they needed bled quite a bit and i think that this time the pressure coming from in the radiator was higher. So i gradually let it fizz away and it eventually calmed down. Thansk to all that read the post and thought about it for me.

Sounds like you didn't close the lockshield valves. In most cases the plastic caps are loose and will turn without moving the valve spindle, although sometimes normal hand wheel valves are fitted both ends so the rad can be isolated without the need for a spanner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back