how do i remove a gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi peeps i have just had my gas fire capped and want to remove it do i have to cap the chimney or anything,i want to remove it and brick up the hole any help appreciated many thanks

Sponsored Links
If it has been capped feel free to block up your chimney space or GBO....make sure you do not disturb it in the process....if it is to remain in your chimney space you would be advised to wrap it in a suitable tape.. ;)

thanx for reply the fire would have a flue going up chimney so can i tape up the flue with say duct tape and then brick up

dont forget to give the chimney some ventilation when you block it off or you may have some damp issues in the not too distant future

Sponsored Links
luckyman4274 said:
thanx for reply the fire would have a flue going up chimney so can i tape up the flue with say duct tape and then brick up

No ,if you have removed the fire & are no longer going to use the flue then you can brick it up..

corgiman said:
dont forget to give the chimney some ventilation when you block it off or you may have some damp issues in the not too distant future

will probably be vented on the large chimney stack situated on his roof... ;)

no sh1t sherlock ;)

by you are going to want a bit of air flow from the bottom unless you have very accomodating air that will whip down the stack and flush the air out of the bottom a couple of times a day :)

Also saying that is like the client who points at the flue when you ask if they know where their free air vent is.

tut honestly what is the world coming too

;) :LOL: =kidding :)

Standard practice is of course to brick up but leave a small vent at the base of the chimney low down where your gas fire used to be..unless you are into mould and damp patches on your chimney breast..which will surely follow if you dont allow some air flow....can't really believe anyone recommending not leaving a vent :rolleyes:

Alfredo

Alfredo said:
Standard practice is of course to brick up but leave a small vent at the base of the chimney low down where your gas fire used to be..unless you are into mould and damp patches on your chimney breast..which will surely follow if you dont allow some air flow....can't really believe anyone recommending not leaving a vent :rolleyes:

Alfredo

Sorry.. not required....ramble on indefinitely.....vent is not required..

A vent is required...looked it up...Sorry Corgi. Scatman, Alfredo ,the whole world...Everyone feel better now :?: :D

many thanx to all of you,so procedure is rip fire out,tape of flue with duct tape,brick up leaving a hole for vent,paper,paint then fit a vent

Sounds like luckyman might have a flue liner in the chimney and is proposing to tape shut the bottom, which would reduce ventilation!

Personally, I can't see why ventilation should be so important, unless you have damp penetration problems. But if it is important, shouldn't any flue liner be removed to allow air to circulate within the chimney stack?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back