Bath tap problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old acrylic bath tub with side mounted tap bodies and a single end of bath spout.

The taps have been re-seated and new rubber washers fitted but they are still a problem. Ideally we would like to replace the taps with new as this is our problem.

The old taps have large globes underneath and a thread dia approx 1.5" which i guess means the bath tap holes in the bath are the same dia.

We have found Bristan Side bodies 3/4" bath taps but of course they are too small to fill the larger tap holes in the bath.

What can i do, can i get chrome covers to fit the old holes or get another type of tap that i can fit.

The two taps are linked underneath with pipework and a single 22mm pipe goes to the bath end spout.

We have lived with this problem, slightly leaking taps and would like to sort it.

At one point we thought the only way was a new suite and start again !!

Any ideas of what we can do.

Incidently the re-seat after using the tool left the bottom seat very uneven and i had to use wet and dry discs to get a smooth surface, maybe the seating tool teeth are too coarse ??

Sponsored Links
Why do you think the Bristan taps won't cover your holes?

When you say the old taps have a thread of 1.5", do you mean the outside diameter of the threaded section?

Yes fron the underside of the tap body it has a thread of approx 1.5" in dia, this may be 1" bsp but it isnt 3/4" bsp.

Therefore if i remove these old taps the holes in the bath side will be too big for new 3/4" tap bodies.

Have i assumed right or am i missing something ??

Sponsored Links
Mister-big said:
Therefore if i remove these old taps the holes in the bath side will be too big for new 3/4" tap bodies.
Why do you think that? You seem to be making assumptions.....

Well i am assuming the outside diameter of a 3/4" tap is 1" approx from memory etc.

If this is the case how can i fit this into something that has a original body diameter of 1.5".

The old taps wouldnt be 1.5" reducing down to smaller diameter as the locknut that is up against the underside of the bath is also very large, much larger than on a 3/4" BSP tap.

So yes i am assuming but from what i have seen so far the old and new just wouldnt match and i would have two larger holes in the side of my bath that the Bristan taps wouldnt cover.

Anybody know the diameter of the hole for a standard 3/4" tap, is it 1" in diameter ?

Doesn't the tap body have a flange that covers the hole? What size is this flange? It's nothing to do with the diameter of the ¾" threaded tail. Post a link to the taps so we can see what they look like.

Hi you are right ive looked again at the dimensional sketch and if that is anything to go by the tap flange plate must be 2" approx

Thanks for making it clearer

Mart

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back