Heat exchanger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a warm air heating system with a gas fed exchanger for the hot water. For a while now i have had loud banging noises from the system. It would appear to be a circulation problem as the cold water feed gets hot and switches of the water heat before it reaches temprature.I have improved the problem by draining down the system and refilling from fresh, but after a couple of months it starts again.I have had a lot of gravel type scale from the system, could the hot water tank be blocked?. It is 30 yrs old.

Sponsored Links
Aljack said:
I have a warm air heating system with a gas fed exchanger for the hot water. For a while now i have had loud banging noises from the system. It would appear to be a circulation problem as the cold water feed gets hot and switches of the water heat before it reaches temprature.I have improved the problem by draining down the system and refilling from fresh, but after a couple of months it starts again.I have had a lot of gravel type scale from the system, could the hot water tank be blocked?. It is 30 yrs old.

Put "Fermox" DS9 cleaner in it. Flush a few times and install inhibitor, Fernox or Senitel.

HANG ON A MINUTE!

If this thing drives a Primatic cylinder you must NOT put DS-9 or any other descaler anywhere near it. (J&S Warm Air units are frequently linked to Primatics: saves plumbing in the roof-space.)

Please give more details of what the system includes.

John, can you tell me what "Fernox DS9" is?

I have never heard of it! But I had better ask you first before I accuse Water Systems of becoming senile.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The stronger of Fernox various descalers. Powder form, acidic, unwise to use on any system with questionable solder joints.
Definitely not OK in Primatics.

Agile said:
John, can you tell me what "Fernox DS9" is?

I have never heard of it!

You have never heard of DS9? Must a few months Corgi course type.

I've never heard of DS9 either. Nor is there any such thing on the Fernox site! There's DS 3, DS 40 and DS 10, but no DS 9. So whose getting it wrong?

ws what you suggest is wrong ,a warm air unit will most likely have a circulator feeding a primatic cly which you must not put chemicals into what you suggest would give a new meaning to acid bath :rolleyes: ds9 should be avoided in older sys due to its aggressive nature get a disclaimer signed before you introduce this into older heating sys :LOL:or raindrops keep falling on me head will be your theme tune.

bripl said:
ws what you suggest is wrong ,a warm air unit will most likely have a circulator feeding a primatic cly which you must not put chemicals into what you suggest would give a new meaning to acid bath :rolleyes: ds9 should be avoided in older sys due to its aggressive nature get a disclaimer signed before you introduce this into older heating sys :LOL:or raindrops keep falling on me head will be your theme tune.

DS9 has been superceded by DS40.

water sys wrote

bripl wrote:
ws what you suggest is wrong ,a warm air unit will most likely have a circulator feeding a primatic cly which you must not put chemicals into what you suggest would give a new meaning to acid bath ds9 should be avoided in older sys due to its aggressive nature get a disclaimer signed before you introduce this into older heating sys :LOL:or raindrops keep falling on me head will be your theme tune.

DS9 has been superceded by DS40.

showing my age then :LOL: :LOL:

OK - now several people (except possibly WS!) are agreed that the original advice was c**p, how do we warn the OP (who has only ever posted once) that there's a serious potential problem?

Most warm air units are J&S with a Janus copper heat exchanger for water heating. This is connected to a direct Hot Water cylinder, so don't put DS 40 into the system or you will contaminate the water out of your hot tap and probably cause skin irritation. Get a Corgi to take out the exchanger and then clean it seperatly flush through reassemble and refill, that should do you. It would be very unusual for a heater to be indirect unless it is the 6KW version which will do some rads.

Thats what I had expected!

It shows that it is a considerable number of years since Water Systems retired and proves that he is totally out of contact with current practices and materials.

Certainly DS40 has been on the market for around 10 years and is 85% citric acid together with some malic acid which allegedly reduces foaming.

Tony

I THINK I've got some DS-9 left somewhere. Maybe I'll reserve it for dissolving remains...... :evil:

Agile said:
Thats what I had expected!

It shows that it is a considerable number of years since Water Systems retired Tony

You are an idiot.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back