Combi Boiler - Brand Opinions

PGR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm going to replace an ageing Potterton Netheat conventional boiler in our 3-bed semi, with something a bit newer and more efficient. I've decided to go down the condensing combi route, sited up in the loft. I've received some quotes for the work, and have narrowed it down to two in the same ballpark. However, the boilers they've suggested are different.

One chap would be fitting an Alpha CD32C with a Honeywell CM67RF optimising thermostat. He's the main-dealer for Alpha-Ocean in our area.

The other guy would be fitting a Worcester Greenstar 30Si with a DT10RF Optimiser. Naturally, he's the main-dealer for Worcester-Bosch in our area.

I confess to knowing nothing about the relative merits of individual boiler brands/models. Given that quotes from these two guys are pretty similar, I'd like to ask for opinions on which boiler brand you would opt for if it were your money you were spending?

Also, is the Honeywell thermostat better than the Worcester one? Could it be fitted to the Worcester boiler instead of the DT10RF?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Both these boilers are pretty similar in price, quality and performance. I suppose the Worcester would probably win a vote 60/40 and be a little more expensive.

There is not really any "main agent", these are just installers who fit their preference of makes.

Its very important that the system is properly cleaned before any new boiler is fitted. Its normal to power flush the system.

I hope that both of them have explained the limitations of a combi on flow rate? It will take a lot longer to fill a bath and they are only suitable for a one bathroom situation. Using a kitchen hot tap may disturb anyone having a shower.

Tony

Happened to see the Worcester today (doing a QA check for a home buyer). Its full of plastic bits and looks a nightmare to service/repair. Major work involved to replace safety valve/plate exchanger etc. Uses the cheapo Grundfoss diverter (already sticking on a two month new system).

Go for the Alpha - apart from the stainless heat exchanger and fan the rest of the boiler parts have been used for years on the non condensing models and are generally OK.

Worcester get too much praise for their boilers. Ask the Worcester installer if they are happy to repair it - I wouldn't touch it - too much agro.

The more brass and stainless the better in my book.

out of the 2 i would go with an alpha. They are time proven for reliablity. Worcester have had 1 oe 2 problems over the years but over all are a decent boiler. When i have priced up combi swaps the worcester has turned out the cheaper option. that is between the greenstar junior 28I and the alpha cd32c. I fit a greenstar junior 28i and it seemd ok but like the other guy posted it is full of plastic unlike the alpha with is full of brass.

I have fit approx 100 alpha boilers other years and only have approx 5 come backs with problems with them so. and 2 of them was a alpha cd32c with ignition failure.

Sponsored Links
What about comparing the Alpha CD32C and the CB33. Either the CB33 is very 'inexpensive' or the CD32C is over-priced! OK - the CB33 is a conventional combi with a recuperator added and it is only SEDBUK B. Even so, some of the other installers around here think its great: easy to fit and also reliable.
I've got a quote out offering either one right now: I guess I'll soon find out where the price-point really is.

The thermostats only 'optimise' the start times for heating. Neither can affect the boiler Flow setpoint (ie. the setting of the CH temperature knob). This is a pity, because condensing boilers work best with a low Return temperature - and usually don't get it.

The DT20 receiver fits into the boiler and controls CH AND HW. The CM67RF could be attached instead as an external roomstat but would only control CH. (Why you'd want to time-control the DHW on a combi is another question!)

I've only had occasional contact with Alpha boilers, but have only heard good things. I too suspect Worcester Bosch are hyped up a bit too much.

I'm impressed with my six year old Vokera Linea 28 combi...not a single problem in that time. I also service about 30 Vokeras on the district (mainly Mynutes it has to be said) and we have hardly had any problems in the five years I have been working with them. They are part of the Riello group who do most of the the commercial oil burners we handle and they are generally pretty good.

We have just started fitting Buderus combis after a recommendation from elsewhere. They are very well made, and our contacts tell us they perfrom well and are trouble free. Our installation guys seem to have taken to them as well. Its certainly gone on my personal list of boilers I'd put in my own home, though not for a bit I sincerely hope.

Alfredo

Would go for the worcester never had a problem, can't praise them enough, ask how much extra the 30 cdi would be brilliant boiler.

I would agree with JD

we have been fitting em for a while and I aint had to go to one, which after the isar/icos is a breathe of fresh air

Who is this JD whom you agree with?

As I said originally he would get anout 60/40 in favour of Worcester!

Tony

I don't think that badly of Worcester Bosch combis...may its just that i was out fixing one at 2 am last sunday morning..means I'm not feeling that well disposed to them :LOL:

Alfredo

Agile said:
Who is this JD whom you agree with?

As I said originally he would get anout 60/40 in favour of Worcester!

Tony

my mistake I meant JB

sorry

and i also agree with you agile, but that goes without saying ;)

I dont normally state my personal views as they are largely irrelevant and I do not get enough exposure to all the latest models.

Installers usually are very poor or totally unable to mend boilers so they like a boiler they can fit which goes first time and does not go wrong durint the first year or until they can change their mobile number.

That is actually a very valuable viewpoint although some boilers would be more reliable if only they were set up properly on installation.

Because I only mend boilers I judge a boiler by the apparent reliability and by the visual appearance of the parts used.

I hear the latest Alphas are quite reliable and they still use some nice solid brass parts. Unfortunately I have fixed some 3-5 y.o. Alpha models which seem to be plagued by the unreliability of small parts. Just one boiler I maintain has had FOUR different faults during the last six months. ( Flow SW, CH NTC, DHW NTC and o/h stat ).

In spite of the flimsey plastic bits the Worcester models now use, I have to admit that the installer's experience that they are reliable for some time after fitting must show that they are a viable choice. How a 32 kW boiler can only weigh little more that 26 kG is amazing!

Tony

i have mended about 5 alpha combis(latest range) and they tend to start leaking on the o ring that is sealing the inlet pipe to the diverter valve. This is the only common problem i have found with them.

I personally fitted a CD32 in my house and 2 years on been fine.(never even looked at it) :LOL:

Fitted a lot of alphas in my time and all been fine, never had to fix any.not saying didnt go wrong as i might not have been called back but so far so good.

worscter again i think good but my oppinion is what i fitted in my house ;)

Some gas installers are comfortable fitting cheap boilers at home because they can manage them at home whereas they would not fit them for customers.

I would not fit a secondhand boiler for a customer but I picked up an Ecomax which was dumped outside the Plumb Centre which I may fit at home sometime as I can mend it for free.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back