Cable size to consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I live in council rented accomodation and the mains cable that feeds the consumer unit seems to be a single core earth cable that is about 6mm to the outer plastic covering. This seems too small to carry all of the mains power. Do you think that this is correct, or could it be dangerous?

Thanks,

Jim

Sponsored Links
I am asking because typically the councils tradesman do poor quality work and take shortcuts. I am about to buy the flat and once I do any defects are my responsibility, therefore insurance etc could be voided if incorrect or non standard wiring is in place. I would rather get this sorted now if there is a problem rather than have a nasty surprise later.

Post a picture of the CU area (upload it to some webspace and give use the link) and we will take a look

you should also note that very very few houses are exactly to BS7671, and a large percentage have quite big/lots of defeats, even newbuilds believe it or not (contracts awarded to lowest bidder... who then use cheap unskilled labour, etc) so I wouldn't get too wrapped up in the insurance thing unless your house is a deathtrap electrically wise.

You could have a PIR done if you are worried about your wiring, this can be done by a electrician, however they may not all offer this service

Sponsored Links
OK will do, thanks. I will also put some appliances on and see if there is any heat actually emanating from the mains feed cable.

Jimbomakavechi said:
Hi all,
I live in council rented accomodation and the mains cable that feeds the consumer unit seems to be a single core earth cable
Just the one? :eek:

How does that work, then?

Hope your not getting confused with the earth wire ;)

securespark said:
If it's TT, 6mm2 suffices...

Even if its not... 6mm² just scrapes through on the adiabatic IIRC(assuming that the Ze is low enough to clear the service fuse in 5s or less and if its not, you have bigger issues...)

Jimbomakavechi said:
... 6mm to the outer plastic covering. ...

I don't know what that means, but I don't think it means 6mm²

I work for a local city council rewiring and maintaing council houses and the wiring is certainly isnt a bodge. There seems to be this misconception that council workers are ruff and bodge jobs well they dont. My council even go to the lengths of installing 10mm t&e for a cooker circuits (to future proof) where as new builds use 6mm t&e

Right rant over but it does wind me up when people say thay council workers are ruff because I CERTAINLY AM NOT!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil:

I'd second that, councils tend to think in terms of total cost of ownership so are willing to specify a quality that won't need frequent maintenance and upgrade.

Will buy on specification first and price second.

And as for the standard of workmanship, I have worked in countless council wired houses, and it is incredibly rare to find a bad one. I also used to work with a few ex-council sparks, and they was never any bodging or corner cutting going on.

Have to agree that most council properties are to a high standard.
I test many council houses and find that the standard of work and accessaries used are high quality. Periodic inspection is carried out at change of tenancy so most properties are of a standard that complies to the current wiring regulations and they have to funding/ money to do it the right way and not cut corners.

I know a few people that work for the local council and they are very knowledgable because they get to take up many courses such as ONC/HNC that other companies just would not be able to justify.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back