Worcester Bosch Greenstar 30CDI fumes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had this new LPG condensing combination boiler installed into a one storey out-house. Flue is vertical out of the out-house pitched roof.

Everytime the boiler ignites I can smell fumes. Is this normal for a new boiler, for LPG, for condensing ?

Sponsored Links
Is the installer Corgi registered for LPG (LPG in London would be unusual)

Stop using the boiler and call him back.

You could call the emergency number of your gas supplier or call Transco (now Southern Gas Networks) 0800 111 999 as they have a list of numbers to contact. Failing that Transco may attend though.

The fumes are outside. Not inside the house or inside the outhouse.
The neighbour's heating guy reckons it just needs a taller flue.

Flues designed for a pitched roof are normally a fixed lenght between the flashing and the top of the flue (the terminal).

If you mean a gas smell just before the boiler ignites there could be an ignition problem with the boiler (although a little amount of gas will be released through the flue) otherwise its a boiler flue - its gonna smell same as you car exhaust :D

Sponsored Links
A few weeks on and the problem remains. The smell is of unburnt LPG and lingers around for a good five minutes after ignition. Plumber has re-visited to check the flue and all is OK there.

Is there a setting the he should be able to change the amount of gas released before the boiler fires ?

You have never replied to say if the installer was registered with CORGi for LPG !

The boiler starts sparking and the gas is turned on about a second afterwards and should ignite within 0.5 secs. You may be able to get an idea of the timescale from in front of the boiler.

The flue has to be installed in accordance with stringent regulations regarding its siting. Look in the installation instructions and see if it complies.

I dont see that a taller flue will help. The gas settings may be wrong on the boiler! If the installer is not registered then he will not have checked/set them.

In the extreme you could call a CORGI inspector to look at it if the installer is not registered or the flue is not fitted in accordance with the regulations.

If the boiler is not igniting correctly then call the manufacturers and they will send their engineer to check it. That may result in a charge if its incorrectly installed or set up ( by a non registered installer! )

Tony

Tony

Thanks

Installer is definitely CORGI registered. Must admit I didn't check that he is also registered for LPG. He is one of the "official" installers for Worcester Bosch in my area.

I checked the flue installation with the instructions and that is all correct. Hard to tell if the spark/gas timing is correct.

The installer and I have spoken again. It doesn't help that when he came out the boiler was performing OK ! Anyway, we've spoken again and he is calling out the Worcester Bosch guy on Monday....

It's good to get it checked out, but LPG equipment does smell quite a lot, and the smell hangs, I find after working with it I can smell lpg long afterwards.

the smell does hang around as it is heavier than air it tends to drop and linger,wait untill you work with it in liquid form that is bad.had a pair of overals that got covered in liquid and had to throw them away after four washes in the launderette they still stank :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back