Potterton preheat noises

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any one able to give me some ideas on how to vent the preheat chamber on my Potterto Performa 28i. when ever the pre heat kicks in it makes swooshing sounds which obviously meens there is air in the system, but how on earth do you vent it out and where is the vent. Grateful for any ideas. regards jeremy.

Sponsored Links
Boilers have an Auto Air Vent (AAV), usually connected near the pump, which has a small plastic cap on the air outlet. this cap should be loose to allow air to vent. Check that it is.

If the pump aav doesn't cure the noise Potterton do an expansion vessel with an auto air vent on top to cure air noise from the expansion vessel/thermal store.

It seems that modified part is not generally available except to some genned up Potty engineers.

If you do a detailed search then you will find all the information on a thread about 2-6 months ago.

Most boilers presumably can be got to expel all the air so check out the AAV and if that does not work decide if you want to spend about £55 (?) on the modified part.

Tony

Sponsored Links
thanks guys ...slackening off the valve above the pump cured the noise.. unfortunately has created another problem.. I cant stop the AAV from leaking, dripping. does this mean valve replacement as a single item or the whole pump?.. the valve is positioned above the pump on the main body which is on a brass cap/dome. any ideas.

Isolate boiler flow and return valves, drain down heating side, re-charge expansion vessel, unscrew air vent and replace.

Jerrybob said:
I cant stop the AAV from leaking, dripping. does this mean valve replacement as a single item or the whole pump?

Single item, AAV part number 248043

If the AAV has a 3/8" thread (most do) you can buy a cheap (£3?) generic one rather than an overpriced Potterton spare part.

chrishutt said:
If the AAV has a 3/8" thread (most do) you can buy a cheap (£3?) generic one rather than an overpriced Potterton spare part.

Sorry Chris not on this boiler its the one that screws in to the top of the pump housing

thanks for replies guys ... thread size is small .. threaded into knurled spigot which is on top of a brass dome.. knowing manufacturers this will be welded on the inside so it cant be removed.. its all part of the Danfoss pump model UP15-60.......... regards

Jerrybob said:
thanks for replies guys ... thread size is small .. threaded into knurled spigot which is on top of a brass dome.. knowing manufacturers this will be welded on the inside so it cant be removed.. its all part of the Danfoss pump model UP15-60.......... regards

Its not welded inside.The vent can be un screwed by gripping the brass top and undoing, After you`ve drained the primary side down of course.
Should take no longer than 30 mins if you`re a good D.I.Yer

And check the pressure in the expansion vessel. I find they deflate quicker than normal vessels - perhaps the diaphragms can't take the continuous heat - another great idea from the Italian boiler maker.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back