replacing part of a flat roof wth polycarbonate sheets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a flat felt roof over the garage and was wondering whether i could replace a part of it with polycarbonate sheets. The place is too dark and I'd like some light in there. I have some very good polycarbonate (opal 2.5mm) sheets and was thinking about removing a section of the roof (around a quater) and inserting the poly sheets. Does this sound feasible? I don't know how the roof is constructed, as i can't see the joists or anything because there are plaster boards attached and and flurescent lights on top. I would need to buy the glazing bars, but it's how to get the edges that meet the felt to be watertight? I know a complete felt or polycarbonate roof is possible, but has anyone tried mixing the two? would it be advisable and what are the potential problems I would encounter? (the polycarbonate would span the entire width of the garage and be in line with the joists. I assume this because the garage is very long and not very wide. It's actually the space at the side of a detched 1930's house.)

At some stage I plan to bore through the plasterboard on the underside of the roof to find what is between it and the felt. any guess's or advice?

any help woul be much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Might be easier to use roof window instead or roof dome type etc
68_dome_standard_1.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back