textured paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My whole lounge and bathroom are covered in textured paint. The walls are rather bumpy in a sort of stippled way. How can I get rid of it, so that I can Paper, please?

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like artex then paint. But anyway you have 2 options either do it the hard way and powersand it down and fill over once sanded or get the walls skimmed with plaster.

is a power sander the same as my electric sander with the velcro on pads? Or is there some sort of supersize version like you get for floors?

a belt sander with coarse paper on it wil do it; a hire shop is the place to go, v inexpensive for the weekend's hire. the dust of such a job ' the WHOLE ROOM! lol ; will be emense. ull either need to cover the carpet n remove furniture or strip the room n carpet. tape the door seals up; and open all windows in that room. oh n hire a mask, ull need it.

i'd plaster it myself. as mentioned above; this will take a good weekend and cleaning up afterwards is a job in itself. anyway if u go for it n sand it level; if! , seal the wall n line with 1000 drade n emulsion or finish paper.

good luck. :)

Sponsored Links
I have used textured paint, it says on the can to remove the texture apply 2 coats of emulsion on top.

Thank you for your help. This is definitely not a two coats of emulsion texture, as the bumps are 2-3mm high and the wall has been painted a couple of different colours since I moved in.
I know you'll think I'm very dense, but, how do you seal a wall, please? Also Do you think plaster will stick to the paint thats already there, (satin finnish) or is there something else I would have to do to prepare the wall?

if ur thinking about plastering u need to get a quote off a plasterer; who will be able to a see ur walls and advise u; its only a quote and confirm physically what needs to be done. DO THIS.

if ur r sanding and going to use lining paper then size; seal, with a mix of pva and water on the sanded filled walls.

heheehe 5 water, 1 pva ; use a roller and watch ur spray, oh before u seal clean all the dust up, hehehe use an old hoover or a cheapy 1 so if u break it who cares . thats money down the drain though. mmmm.

Great news! As i was taking tiles off in the bathroom some of the bumpy stuff came off
Someone must have artexed over a few layers of vinyl paint. It pealed off in great big chunks leaving bare plaster.
I've never been so pleased to see something done wrong

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back