dulux trade supermatt question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a kitchen wall plastered(bonding & skim) a week ago and have been advised on here to use supermatt as a finish. Having been advised on many occasions to read the tin (third eye!) , the instructions seem to contradict themselves. It reads'suitable for plaster that is still drying out' and then 'new surfaces particularly must be fully dry'. Am I missing something here? Is this supermatt essentially a non vinyl emulsion and in this case , why is it better than other contract non vinyl emulsions.

Also, is this paint supposed to be a final finish or as a temporary finish until the plaster is fully dry underneath - then recoat with something more durable. Thanks John

Sponsored Links
There is not a contradiction ! It reads'"Suitable for plaster that is still drying out", meaning PLASTER. Then it reads, "New surfaces particularly must be fully dry", meaning everything that is not PLASTER must be fully dry i.e. Imagine you tried to use supermatt over new artex that has not fully dry, well if you done that then ALL the artex would be ruined......................................etc etc etc

thanks for explaining third eye. Is this paint suitable as a final finish - but just not very wipeable?

It ia a highly breathable matt emulsion & non-vinyl & not washable & it is not flexible. Due to these reasons then it is perfect as an sealer & finish coat for a kitchen for up to 6 months once applied. However, i personaly recommend to overcoat the Supermatt 6 months after applying the Supermatt with Dulux Trade Vinyl Soft Sheen.

Sponsored Links
price it right! said:
yeh defo what a lovely base, that will feel n look good, ahhh what dream lol
Yep, "Price is not right" hehe.

What would happen if you applied a mist coat of supermatt on plaster which is still drying out (ie surfaces painted within 30 days of being plastered), followed by the next day of two coats of vinyl matt emulsion?

price it right! said:
lol. Shouldn't you be at work, 8.34 am , heheeheh
I try and not be slave to the "system" 'price it right!', hehe. Also, "cocoots100" if plaster is not fully dry, then i would not put vinyl matt near it, even when been previously coated with Supermatt (whilst still drying out).

I spoke to Dulux and they said that for plaster drying out inside 30 days you can prime with Dulux Supermatt (3 parts paint/1 part water) followed by the relevant finishing coat (in my case they gave the thumbs up to vinyl matt and water based eggshell).

Ive never been into all this painting wet plaster amlarky...surely if its too damp youl end up with water stains.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back