Approx. How Long to build a new roof?

P.Q

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a potential roofing company doing a new roof on our 3-bedroom end of terrace house. He quoted us that it would only take a 1.5 days. This seemed like a very short time to do the work and we are concerned that he may be a cowboy. He also quoted us a price of 3k and everybody else has been closer to 10k. Would anybody be able to give me a ballpark figure for a new roof?

Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
you can make a new roof in a couple of hours, its called a tarpaulin.

what material is he quoting, ask to "see one he made earlier"

P.Q said:
This seemed like a very short time to do the work and we are concerned that he may be a cowboy.
You maybe right unless it's a wendy house roof. :)

A lot depend how many people working on it and as always inspect some of their work.Have a look at the cementing and lead flashing to see if it's neat work etc.

What shape is your roof and how big is the area approx ?

If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is !
You don't say if it is a back to back or a through terrace but a general breakdown would be as follows :

1) Strip , felt and relat one elevation...............one day
2) Load new slate/tiles , fit ventilation to eaves, prep leadwork......one day
3) Slate/tile one elevation............one day
4) Ridges and verges and any other outstanding bits.........one day

This is based on my experience with two roofers fitting and a labourer doing the fetching and carrying etc. Of course there may be many factors that can affect this time scale like access , height , pitch and shape of roof ,type and size of materials used , and of course the speed of the labour because some can work at a pace and others prefer to plod on nice and steady.If you could give a bit more detail about what your roof has on now and what you are having it replaced with and the size of the roof and the area you live etc I may be able to be more specific.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the old trick of saying it will take such and such a time to look good, when in fact it will take him an age...and he will be back for more money with the old proverb "I've found a few rotten roof rafters" :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back