new boiler cost upto £2000

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for thoughts on a boiler for my new house, wanting a condensing combi with good flow rate and to supply 15 rads. Boiler cost coming in at around £2000 plus flu etc.

Wanting quality and reliability so dont mind spending all of the alloted £2000 or perhaps just a touch more if needed.

Any thoughts would be nice.

ta
simon

Sponsored Links
The most important thing of all to promote performance and reliability from a new combi is to ensure the system is as clean as a whistle before you put the combi in, and that you have the correct amount of inhibitor (Fernox or Sentinel) to suppress corrosion. We now send water samples to Sentinel for analysis to make sure we have flushed the systems properly, and yes..it took us a bit to get it right when we started sampling...at first we got rejects with "too much molybdenum" in the comments..don't ask me!!!

Also, if you are in a hard water area you need either a scale reducer..we us Scalemaster gold..the cheaper ones with pushfits usually leak after a year or two, or if you can run to it, a full water softener..which is what i have..but its pricey to buy and to run.

Then its just a matter of choosing a reputable make, of which there are quite a few. Alpha:Worcester Bosch:Keston:Buderus:Vokera are all names that seem to attract more favourable than bad comment. Sadly perhaps, Ideal seems to have knackered its reputation somewhat recently.

Every installer has their own favourites, so you will see heated arguments on this forum about "which is best".....and everybody is usually right :rolleyes:

Alfredo

Alfredo said:
The most important thing of all to promote performance and reliability from a new combi is to ensure the system is as clean as a whistle before you put the combi in, and that you have the correct amount of inhibitor (Fernox or Sentinel) to suppress corrosion. We now send water samples to Sentinel for analysis to make sure we have flushed the systems properly, and yes..it took us a bit to get it right when we started sampling...at first we got rejects with "too much molybdenum" in the comments..don't ask me!!!

Also, if you are in a hard water area you need either a scale reducer..we us Scalemaster gold..the cheaper ones with pushfits usually leak after a year or two, or if you can run to it, a full water softener..which is what i have..but its pricey to buy and to run.

Then its just a matter of choosing a reputable make, of which there are quite a few. Alpha:Worcester Bosch:Keston:Buderus:Vokera are all names that seem to attract more favourable than bad comment. Sadly perhaps, Ideal seems to have knackered its reputation somewhat recently.

Every installer has their own favourites, so you will see heated arguments on this forum about "which is best".....and everybody is usually right :rolleyes:

Alfredo

blimey charlie now THAT is belt and braces, out of interest how much do you charge for a boiler change alf?

I dunno is the honest answer, cos i'm just the oily rag, and we work on contracts that have differing price structures not revealed to us worker types, but I reckon they probably come in at around £2500 for new boiler..Glow worm CXi combi as often as not..also including powerflush..new TRVs and simple room stat. If i am out on this price, then i'm not that far out. Two day job..one for the powerflush and TRVs, and the boiler change the next.

To be honest I hardly do any install myself as my main function is servicing and breakdowns. Frankly i'm too old to keep up with the young guns who seem to do our installs at breakneck speed..by my standards anyway :LOL:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
blime y charlie the margins must be well tight

glad i dont do installs much (well that one this week was the first for ages)

I am with you alf

in merseyside a full install i;e 30kw combi,7 rads,trvs, copper pipe,p/roomstat,claddings,clips and fittings.about 2200 to 2500.

witht the price of copper and the boiler how do you make a profit on that

Blimey

there must be about 100 or so firms working within a 7 mile radius.its the old add in the paper that doesnt help aswell. combi and six rads for 1595.

sheeesh

seems to me that there is no real money in installs no more, well not for the graft they need

im not fantastic on the breakdowns. i need to do electrics course.can fettle them 99% of the time through common sense, but knowing about resistences and the like will make it 100% easier.

if its in a kitchen , sparky does it. if its in a bathroom , its in a cupboard and due to technicality its not in the bathroom. earth bonding done by spark.

youve got to basically screw the suppliers prices down as much as possible.it can be more stressfull pricing and arranging the job , than doing it.

true. but even so mate you cannot be earning good money

sorry to intrude just really interested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back