Stop cocks and gate valves

Sponsored Links
Gate valves for tank fed. They are full bore and allow more flow but are more likely to let by a bit after a few years.

Stop cocks for mains pressure. Slightly restrictive but a superior seal.

When they get old gate valves break or fall to bits in your hands..even dezincified ones..you don't want that on a stop cock..which are usually better quality.

Had some fun with gate valves :oops:

Alfredo

Sponsored Links
great fun when you shut a gate valve on a cold feed from a tank and it doesnt open back up again

gas engin said:
great fun when you shut a gate valve on a cold feed from a tank and it doesnt open back up again

yep that always makes me chuckle, especially at 1730 on a friday night, oh how i laugh

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Nobody has really stated the main difference.

Gate valves are for low pressure systems primarily for isolation purposes for maintenance. They can also be used for flow balancing.

Stop cocks are for high pressure water supply often up to 10 Bar. They can be used for emergency isolation or even used in a normally off application.

Tony

forget gate valves and stopcocks.....use isolation valves ( ballafix valves) for everything!

yep they are great especially if that aint be used for ages and pee out when you really need to isolate something :):)

If you do get good quality ones like pegler etc

Corgibod, you forgot to mention that their bore is only about 30% of the area of a gate valve!

blimey agilebod do u still use those???

I was refering to the full bore peglers

like the gas but for water,marvellous things

Not me!

Its this "Squeeky" person who seems to want to use inadequate parts to do a cowboy job!

Its not surprising that he does not want to identify himself!

He probably uses a PAYG mobile number and only does jobs for "cash".

Tony

Wow tony

you have a one war against mobliys at the mo :):):):):):)

and yellow pages :):):):):)

still I love the full bore balofix, nice piece of kit and the auld folks have no hassle using them, much better than gate valves of stopcocks.

Hold have to go me mobile is ringing and think its yellow pages about me advert, have to be kwik as I am running out of credit

:)

;)

Ah - life's never simple. I ask for the difference between two things and learn that I need comething else! Can you point to a 'full bore balofix' on scewfix or somewhere, please?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back