Fishy Smell???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Every time I use my shower, I get a really strong smell of fish in the hallway, which is quite a bit away from my bathroom, so it can't be the showers on/off switch causing the smell. However, my fuse box is in a cupboard in the hall. Could my shower be affecting the fuse box???

Please help! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Hi Fluff

Sounds like (should that be smells like) you have a problem with a piece of electrical equipment overheating.

Ever burnt the handle of a saucepan? Bakelite or similar materials give off a yukky fishy smell when hot or burnt.

Without touching anything, try sniffing around (sounds silly!) in the cupboard to see if you can locate the pong.

Do you have an old Wylex (or other brand) fusebox (brown bakelite?)

May well have a loose connection on the shower circuit which being quite a high current will create a fair amount of heat.

Make a visual check inside the fuse box - switch everything off first - and take great care not to touch the main terminals where the tails come into the box.

It may be glaringly obvious- you may see burnt pvc insulation etc..

Have you upgraded the shower recently? The existing circuit may not be up to the job of feeding an electrically larger shower unit.

Let me know how you get on.

useless fact

"tails" are the big grey (usually grey) cables that come in from your electricity meter into the consumers unit itself

Now, breezer, don't be bitchy!

If you read it again, I did also mention the key words "Main terminals"....

Sponsored Links
By the way, tails can be grey, white black or red........

The reason I say take care not to touch the main terminals is because with some of the older boxes, there is no shielding on the terms and it is all to easy to touch them in error.

I have actually seen it happen. Luckily the guy lived, but he lost the tip of his right index finger.......

i wasn't being....... , you forget this is a diy forum, most of us know what tails are, but to those who dont...............

breezer said:
i wasn't being....... , you forget this is a diy forum, most of us know what tails are, but to those who dont...............
Like me for example. It's amazing that we all speak English here and there's such a language barrier with the terminology between American and UK electrics. I for one appreciated Breezer's helpful tip, and I'm sure it was directed at Fluff, not you Securespark.

i know it was, breezer.

i dont mean to blind with science, but it is easy to use terms youve been using all yoiur life and forget the odd time to explain.

i shall try and do better - sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back