Problem with a potterton puma 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a problem with the HW on my combi. When the hot water tap is turned on the red light on the PCB comes on, the boiler fires up and the water is heated fine. The problem comes when the tap is turned off. The red light stays on, the boiler carry's on heating and overheats the non flowing water in the system. Even when the boiler is switched off and then back on again the red light comes back on and fires the boiler up when no tap is running. I have a feeling it may be a problem with the flow sensor on the HW side of the boiler as Ive checked the relays on the PCB and these seem to be ok.

Any thoughts please, this boiler is driving me mad!

Sponsored Links
Well you seem to have realised what the problem is.

However if only you had spent a few minutes searching previous postings about Pumas then you would have read many about boilers with the same problem.

Tony

Unfortunately Softus was either rejected for membership of the IPHE or does not qualify so he has a permanent negative attitude towards them.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get a new sensor and get this sorted.

Only other problem I have now is that the Boiler keeps tripping the RCD!

Agile said:
Unfortunately Softus was either rejected for membership of the IPHE or does not qualify
Neither of these assumptions is correct.

...so he has a permanent negative attitude towards them.
This is also wrong. My negative post was aimed squarely at Agile's negative attitude towards non-IPHE engineers and his unhelpful post on this topic.

Notwithstanding all of that, congratulations are due to Agile on has long-term membership of the elite and exclusive Keep Irrelevant Use Of The Word "Unfortunately" Alive society. ;)

Yorkie24 said:
Thanks for the help, hopefully I can get a new sensor and get this sorted.

Is this a brand new symptom, or was it doing this before?

Either way, does the boiler do this as soon as you power it up, or when you select a mode of operation, or when?

Also, check for chafed electrical cable insulation.

Yorkie24 said:

That is not surprising! The DHW flow sensor is probably leaking and the water is causing a current leakage to earth.

Softus, rather that telling us why he cannot be a member of the IPHE has decided not to advance any information. Thats "unfortunate" because the IPHE represents those members of the plumbing profession ( like me ) who strive to improve stardards.

Tony

Agile said:
rather that telling us why he cannot be a member of the IPHE has decided not to advance any information.
It is untrue to say that I cannot be a member of the IPHE, so the following statement is a non-sequitur...

Thats "unfortunate" because the IPHE represents those members of the plumbing profession ( like me ) who strive to improve stardards.
...and it's also inaccurate, because the IPHE doesn't represent all of the plumbers and heating engineers who strive to improve standards, only a tiny proportion of us.

Must say that I am a member of iphe and i dont think much of em either, what have they ever done for us?? (life of brian stylee)

and they are fairly easy to join as long as you have a sponser.

I wish they would be a bit more proactive and argumentative sods like soft are exactly what we need agile, blokes like him (and like you as you are both more alike then you would care to admit ;) ) could ask some akward questions of the management, which they wont be able to answer and maybe we can get some changes that suit the man at the coal face for a change

:):):):)

(runs away to the nearest bomb shelter)

::):):):)

I know a chap who's an IPHE member. Sterotypical Cowboy, pretty much. He does have a plumbing qualification, which is more than some of their members do, but is still installing boilers having let his Corgi membership lapse. He joined the IPHE to get the stickers for his van and stays a member because of their cheap van insurance.
A little while ago he asked me what an Automatic Bypass Valve was..

shocking aint it

and it could be soo good

could have a real voice in the industry but is happy to sit back get fawned apon by politicians and collect money from members

shame

corgiman said:
Must say that I am a member of iphe and i dont think much of em either...
I don't have any problem with the organisation per se; my IPHE-related comments have always been directed at Agile on those occasions when he makes elitist, pompous and self-important claims about his membership and what it represents.

I take your point, cm, that my attitude probably has a lot in common with Agile's, and I've even made that observation directly to him. However, he appears to have joined the ranks of the "can't be arsed to respond properly" brigade, and instead posts inane and blatantly unhelpful comments to naive newbees, in some weak pretence that he's being playful, therefore I feel that his own attitude is a fair target.

We're all hypocrites at some time or other, and when I am then I'll be more than happy to have it pointed out to me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back