Combi boiler advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I called a plumber out this morning as I have had a bubble in my ceiling for a while & it recently started dripping. The leak is directly under my water tank.

Upon investigation the plumber found the tank was leaking, had soaked through the floorboards & in time come through the ceiling.

We only have an old type system at the minute, he seemed a bit baffled at our system. We have a tank in the bathroom cupboard which has another tank above it, then downstairs in the kitchen cupboard we have the boiler. He did say that our CH & HW is powered by 2 separate things.

We have 2 options-

a) replace the tanks

or

b) upgrade and get a combi system fitted

We have rang round 3 different plumbers today who have all given us estimates. These are shown below:

1) 1200+ VAT one man band & will take him a day

2)1600-1800 + VAT- 2 guys didn't say how long it would take

3) 250 labour only- 2 guys said it would take them a day providing there is no snags

I would appreciate it greatly if you could advise me on what my best option is. Do I get a new system or just replace the leaking tank?

Also if I was to get a combi boiler installed, how much is a reasonable price & roughly how long would it take??

Any help is greatly appreciated xx

P.S- Me & my partner need to make a quick decision as we now have no hot water!!!

Sponsored Links
Doesn't sound very baffling; standard big cold tank in the loft for the hot water and small header tank for the heating, in the airing cupd?

Depends depends - how old's your boiler and what are your hot water demands? Do you know about combis? If someone's in the shower any other tap being opened can stop most of the water in too many cases, etc. How good is your mains supply - did anybody check it?

If yours is an old system the rads are likely to be pretty dirty and the system should be flushed, which takes hours with a machine. Not at all likely to do that and install a combi, removing all the tanks, in a day unless there are 2 quick people. Combi will need at least a 22mm gas supply from the meter which you may not have.

CHoice of combi is something we get asked about weekly - have a read. Depends on requirements, again.

It's all too common for folk in your position to have a cheap combi thrown in only to regret some aspect of it later.

First of all thanks for your response.

The boiler in the cupd is an Ideal Mexico RS40 which 1 of the plumbers said is around 20 years old. We use hot water for just the obvious- washing dishes, having a bath etc...

At the minute if someones in the shower, it isnt affected by the hot water coming on.

The system is an old one & the 1st guy did say he'd have to flush it all out, however nobody else mentioned this.

All quotes for a combi sound far too cheap to be honest.....are they corgi registered?

The first guy said it would take one day to fit a combi and flush the system....how much red bull did he ask for to get the work done this quick??

I think your being vastly and I mean vastly undercharged and id be very cautious.

Sponsored Links
A powerflush completed correctly would cost average £350 in london so as the guys here say your quotes are way off.
Pete

Its interesting how you seem to choose someone according to how quickly they can install a combi.

Could I point out that those doing it quickly will be bodging and not power flushing. The longer it takes the more is bing done for your benefit.

I once saw a 32 kw condensing combi which had been installed in about 6 hours but he handed the customer a bottle of cheap sludge remover and told him to put it in the system for a week. Only problem it did not work properly because there was a 5 mB drop on the gas supply between min/max power.

Tony

yeah be careful like the others said.

It would probably be cheaper to replace it with a combi as you only have to buy a boiler. If you were to replace the system you have in like for like it would cost quite a bit and you would still have to bring the system upto the current regulation with heating controls etc.

My advise would be to install a combi( it is the cheapest option). Also it depends on your cold mains coming it.

Sounds like it would need flushing . A Job like this usally takes 2 of us 2 days including flushing. So anyone who does it ion the day is not doing it properly IMO. They will be rushing and probably be a rough job. If the system is not flushed/cleaned then it may invalidate your warranty on your boiler as it may be sludged up in a year or 2.

As for which combi to go for that is upto you. They all do a simular job but these days it has to be a condensing boiler.

I am not placing my decision around the fastest time in which it cn be done, I am just asking for your opinion on if these guys r being honest.

I really am not sure what to do :( I'm getting conflicted answers all the time!

Be aware that we are advising you free of charge with no involvement with your new system.

We have no axe to grind and give you the best technical ( well mostly ) and practical advice.

Try asking those quoting to show you their power flushing pump BEFORE you consider giving them the job. Typical excuses, my brother's borrowed it, its being mended or "I hire it when I need it" which is total nonsence as any professional will need one available 100% of the time at least cost.

Those wanting to take your money have only one motive, their PROFIT !

Tony

Have you tried to contact your insurance company to see if it is insured?
Most fixtures and fittings, which your cylinder is, are insured under buildings insurance. The damage they cause when they leak is covered under contents insurance.
Even if the insurance does not cover it, you could just replace the cylinder.
A 36 x 18 cylinder including fitting shouldnt cost any more than £500.
Why the rush to get a combi fitted?
i would try the insurance approach first.
If you are in rented however then its your landlords problem to fix.

The insurance wont pay out because it is classed as wear & tear & not accidental damage.

They will cover the cost of the ceiling but not the new tank etc...

We thought that having a standard boiler would not be a good thing when we come to sell the house in the future

Maybe i am speaking out of turn but if the tank is leaking and the boiler although old is OK, why not just replace the tank ? You can still replace the boiler when it finally bites the dust , but without the need for a combi.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back