Capping cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have run my electrical cables in the prescribed zones and have used metal capping,it seems easier to use than plastic.Does all this capping need to be earthed? It will all be buried beneath the plaster.

Sponsored Links
For future reference you only need to earth the metal capping if you run it outside of the prescribed zones.

if you run outside zones then capping not much use anyway.

unless you protecting from plasterers trowel then capping is not much good and metal capping is positively a very bad idea.

Signed

The society against capping cables

Sponsored Links
Pensdown said:
For future reference you only need to earth the metal capping if you run it outside of the prescribed zones.
but it should be earthed steel conduit. capping has very little resistance to a drill

simon_d said:
Pensdown said:
but it should be earthed steel conduit. capping has very little resistance to a drill

I'm not aware of any regs thats say it has to be steel conduit are you?

Pensdown said:
simon_d said:
Pensdown said:

I'm not aware of any regs thats say it has to be steel conduit are you?

522-06-06 A cable should concealed in a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm form the surface of the wall or partition shall:
(i) incorporate an earthed metallic covering which complies with the rewuirements of these regulations for a protective conductor of the circuit concerned, the cable complying with BS 5467, 6346, 6724, 7846, BS EN 60702-1 or BS 8436

now, AFAIK, capping doesnt count as a protective conductor

522-06-06

(iii) be enclosed in earthed conduit, trunking or ducting satisfying the requirements of these regulations....

OK, maybe i was slightly off with the earthed steel conduit, but either way, as far as im aware, capping doesnt comply

Although it's far from ideal, earthed metal capping does comply with 7671. You can't use it where the cable is less than 50mm from both sides but on a normal block wall it can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back