4 professionals cannot find the answer - can you??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, please go easy, I'm a newby!

Also I've not had a hot shower for 2 months!

My central heating/hot water was working fine in my new house. However, I asked someone to remove a radiator. Ever since, I've had no hot water/radiator heat.

My system is an induction hot water tank, heated by the central heating loop.

There is no air in the system - I've bled the radiators and the tank.

Is it possible that the reason is that the radiator was on a serial closed loop connection, therefore by removing the radiator he has broken the loop???

many thanks for any help - 4 professional plumbers have had a look and none can help, so I'm thinking for myself here!!

Sponsored Links
cheekym said:
I'm thinking for myself here!!
Evidently. :rolleyes:

We need a bit more information. What boiler do you have. Does the boiler fire up? Does the pump operate? Are there any motorised valves? Who moved the rad? Was he a heating engineer (obviously not)?

First please describe all you can about the system and what has been tried to get it going.
What Motorised valves? Pump? Boiler?
Does the boliler light then go out or...

Standard things:
Check there's water in the small loft(?) tank and that it refills when you let some water out of a drain point or a rad vent .
Check the pump's turning
Check for an air bleed point at the HW cylinder where the upper pipe goes in the side.

"""My system is an induction hot water tank, heated by the central heating loop."""

That reminds me of electric induction furnaces!

I wonder what kind of "professional" these four were?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies, I'll address your questions:

- the boiler fires up fine, and the pipes coming out of it are hot (well, one is).
- it then turns off after about 10mins, as if trying to say "i've heated all the water that's necessary however it's not going anywhere so what's the point?!"
- the boiler is a "glowworm"
- the pump is fine I've been told. It certainly makes a noise when I turn on the boiler, and I can hear water moving in the pipes.
- the small tank on the roof has been checked, along with the lager cold water tank - they're both full.
- I've bled the radiators, there was a lot of air in just one.
- I've bled the HW cylinder by loosening the nut at the top of the pipe that sticks out vertically from the side.

chrishutt said:
... Are there any motorised valves? Who moved the rad? Was he a heating engineer (obviously not)?
You haven't answered all the questions.

My car is a Ford! But I am not telling you if its a 2005 Focus or a 1948 Pilot V8 !

"""""the small tank on the roof has been checked, along with the lager cold water tank - they're both full. """""

A tank of lager in the loft?

Sounds like air in the system is stopping the pump circulating. Try bleeding air from it ( FAQ ) maybe the feed pipe is blocked. Drain some water from it and see if ball valve opens to replace the water.

What temperature are the two connections to the heating coil on the cylinder?

Tony[/b]

chrishutt said:
chrishutt said:
... Are there any motorised valves? Who moved the rad? Was he a heating engineer (obviously not)?
You haven't answered all the questions.

ah yes..

- not sure about motorised valves, it's an extremely old system (15+years I think), and I've just bought the house, the previous owner passed away so there's no-one around to give me any info on the house, so I'm not sure on a lot of the details.
- there is some kind of valve that sits next to eh hot water tank and is connected to elecricity, it has a switch for "auto" or "manual"
- a Polish electrician removed the radiator - no he was not a heating engineer! In fact to call him an electrician is probably pushing it too :mad:

cheekym said:
- a Polish electrician removed the radiator - no he was not a heating engineer! In fact to call him an electrician is probably pushing it too
That will go down well on this site. :rolleyes:

Try putting the motorised valve in the manual position (slide lever and hook into position). Tell us what happens. ;)

There are obviously some very good workers, nationals from every country in the world, however the person I used was not good.

I have switched the switch and it hasn't had any effect..

What make of motorised valve? model number?

It would help if you could post a picture of the cylinder connections.

I have a mate who lives in a 25 yr old flat and on his heating system he has to manually open a valve in the airing cupboard in order to divert water around the CH loop (interesting set up I know), as there is no CH timer and associated motorized valve. Could this be your problem - big shot in the dark!

Maybe try identifying where the pipework goes as it leaves the boiler hot and see what junctions it comes to and what temperature the water is coming out of all those junctions

On second thoughts this wouldn't stop you getting hot water. You say there is water flowing in the pipes, is it definitely the loop that flows through the boiler? If the water is leaving the boiler hot and not coming back in hot then I would suggest it is not this loop that is flowing (or it's disappearing somewhere worrying)? Can you try and follow your pipework and give people here a sketch / description of the layout?

it sounds like youve got an old servowarm system where the boilers been changed.

was the radiator you had removed from the bathroom?

Sometimes a bathroom radiator or towel rail would be connected in line with the hot water cylider indirect coil. Simply removing a radiator in this case would stop the hot water from getting heated.

-Dan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back