OVERFLOW driving us insane!!!

Interestng suggestion Ollie - not one I'd thought of.
Justin had a point too!

Sponsored Links
That suggestion is unlikely to be much use in practice because the leakage is relatively small and the water at the base of the cylinder is cold as its only heated above the coil or immersion element.

In any case its irrelevant because in this case because the only two connections to the cistern are the ball valve and the single outlet to the HW cylinder.

If its not coming from the ball valve then it must be from the cold feed.

WE have asked so many times about this ball valve and received confused and conflicting information that I am not surprised that Justin was rather less than polite to the OP.

Tony

Softus said:
astraea said:
sorry meant to add when the ball was held up when the tap was swithced off it didnt look like the water level was rising but i could hear an occasional trickle???
If you can hear a trickle then this indicates that water is probably still entering the cistern.

Thanks for answering some of the burning questions Vikki, but another one of the long-standing question is: when you're holding up the float arm, does ANY water still pass through the valve and into the cistern?

Also, when you say that the cylinder has been "off" for two days, what do you mean?

Regarding the question about the water in the cistern being cold/tepid/warm, do you feel the temperature when the cylinder was cold, or when it was still warm?

It's still possible that you have a faulty shower mixer valve, and I can't see anywhere that you've told us whether or not you have a shower mixer valve anywhere.

Do you have a shower mixer valve?

To summarise the questions in this post:

1. When you're holding up the float arm, does ANY water still pass through the valve and into the cistern?

i assume so as i can hear occasional trickling although i cant actually see anything

2. How did you "turn off" the cylinder?

sorry i just meant that the hot water has been turned off altogether with the switch next to the hot water tank

3. Do you have a shower mixer valve in the house?

no we dont have a shower at all in the house.

also the ball arm and ball have been replaced completely - no the ball has not been lowered i have tried several times to bend it but i cant!!!!

(hubby is away so it is me now trying to sort this out!!)

would it help if i bought one of the plastic arms that can be adjusted??

also to answer this question

"Regarding the question about the water in the cistern being cold/tepid/warm, do you feel the temperature when the cylinder was cold, or when it was still warm? "

it was when the hot water was still turned on

Sponsored Links
Do you have any joystick taps with only a single knob to control the water flow?

Has anything been touched on a washing machine connection lately?

What make and model gas boiler do you have?

Tony

right no we dont have any joystick taps,
the washing machine was disconeected and reconected a week or so ago when we fitted a new base unit but the overflow was already dripping then as far as i can remember

as for my boiler it is a glowworm economy plus i dont know the model number is there somewhere on it it will be written??

astraea said:
the washing machine was disconeected and reconected a week or so ago when we fitted a new base unit but the overflow was already dripping then as far as i can remember

Based on the rather limited information available my best guess now is that there is something wrong with the washing machine connection.

BUT an important question ! Whats the height of the water level in the small tank in the loft compared with the big one?

Can you tie up the ball valve in the small tank?????

Tony

the small tank in the loft has a water level of a few inches from the bottom the large tank in the loft has a water level a few inches from the top

astraea said:
Softus said:
<snip>
To summarise the questions in this post:

1. When you're holding up the float arm, does ANY water still pass through the valve and into the cistern?

i assume so as i can hear occasional trickling although i cant actually see anything

2. How did you "turn off" the cylinder?

sorry i just meant that the hot water has been turned off altogether with the switch next to the hot water tank

3. Do you have a shower mixer valve in the house?

no we dont have a shower at all in the house.
astraea, please, pretty please, before one of us dies, could you have mercy on me and answer the other two questions?

I thought the answers were
1. not obviously so it can't be more than a drip - which wouldn't be enough
2. Immersion heater turned off.

There are two mixers in the house, it doesn't have to be a shower mixer.
Last one I saw doing it was a Bristan basin monobloc. DOn't remember a kitchen sink mixer doing it, but all it takes is a porous casting.

This is a long shot - under the bathroom basin are there isolation valves on the pipes which go to the taps?? They look like this:
p1066545_l.jpg

If there are - turn one of them off by turning the screwdriver slot across the pipe. (the one in the pic is OFF)
No - turn them both off!

Agile said:
That suggestion is unlikely to be much use in practice because the leakage is relatively small and the water at the base of the cylinder is cold as its only heated above the coil or immersion element.
Don't be so disparaging! Ollie was referring to the pipe out of the top of the cylinder, which only gets hot by convection.

Agile said:
In any case its irrelevant
Not!

definately seems like bath mixer is passing mains water through hot side and through cylinder into storage tank. hot gate valve is also passing.(just my view)

Switch on immersion heater
Turn off cold mains at stop cock (under sink??)
Open kitchen and bathroom cold taps to empty taps/pipes of cold water.

See which tap drips/gets warm.

BUT an important question ! Whats the height of the water level in the small tank in the loft compared with the big one?

I need to know the height of the water level in each tank relative to each other ( but not relative to the top of each tank! )

I want to know is the small tank level is higher or lower than the big tank level ???

Tony

hi
the small tank level is a lot lower than the big tank level a LOT lower!!

also chrisr think you may be on to something i turned the water off under the sink in kitchen put thge immersion on and went into the bathroom and put on both taps the hot water came out as normal the cold tap came out as a slow flow for a couple of minutes then turned into a drip.???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back