Am i being fussy bstard?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok was it not for the fact im being charged an extra 220quid to integrate my water softener into my new central heating/combi install into my 4bed bungalow. I may not be so fussy.

But today i came home and saw this pipework out the side, You can see where the Boiler sits(just to right) by the exit of the white pipe from the wall, the copper length pipes are the outlet and overflow from the water softener.

Also i noticed the feed to the garden hose is from the softened side, is that right for plants?
My concern is the fact the pipes look a bit messy like that, either running them along the top of the stonework or perhaps underground into the pipework, but i wasn't really consulted and i expected as stated in quote all 'pipework routing undertaken in neatest possible manner'. Would you say this is the case or am i wanting too much here?

pipework.jpg

Sponsored Links
A few faults. Firstly the plastic condensate discharge pipe should be 32mm size, or be insulated (which will look even worse), to protect against freezing. Also it doesn't look like the connections to the soil stack are properly sealed - you might get leakage there. And it's a bit daft to use softened water to water the garden.

The white plastic pipe (condensate) has to be insulated against frost and has to be angled downwards along its length. The copper one would have looked better following the line of the stone wall. Does look messy does'nt it.

One no the hose should have been bypass, as it cost money to soften water and why pay it for plants??? Dont know about the plants

As for the condesate, that should have been run in at least 1.25 waste pipe to protect against freezing ( a bit of insulation would have done, it would have been wrong but better than what you have)

Same for the outlet from the water softener, i cannot makei tout but it dont look like its sealed and the stack, that'll will pen and ink. and it looks like it has little or no fall

It looks ****

Sponsored Links
chrishutt said:
A few faults. Firstly the plastic condensate discharge pipe should be 32mm size, or be insulated (which will look even worse), to protect against freezing. Also it doesn't look like the connections to the soil stack are properly sealed - you might get leakage there. And it's a bit daft to use softened water to water the garden.

sorry chris i was ranting and did not know you posted

See chris thinkks the same

The PRV pipework shouldn't be into the drainaqge pipe, or the rain pipe whatever it is, unless theres a tun dish visible thats not in the pic.

Garden hose :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Put it anywhere near the plants and they're DEAD. salt is the best plant killer on the market, and that includes the lawn :LOL:

Looking at the pic again, What is that pipe going into the plastic pipe :?:

Looking at the pic again, it looks like the overflow pipe may be from the softener and the copper pipe is the condensate :rolleyes:

Incidentally don't let them fill the heating with softened water. :eek:

Answers before paying I think is in order.

may i ask why does the condense pipe have to be 32mm. For instance, if it is a alpha boiler as long as the condense pipe is no more than 3m then it is ok in 22mm and if run externally then it must be insulated from the frost which that one isn't.

As I understand it, increasing the condensate discharge pipe to 32mm is an alternative to insulating the normal 22mm size when run externally. Even if some condensate froze in 32mm pipe, it would never be enough to block the pipe (one hopes).

also see where the tap is now :( the tap ran off the old feed which sat in the conservatory which is to be removed soon, but instead he moved the tap about 1.5metres the other way, stairs are there but there's adequate room to route the pip under and out just above the stones and up the wall to it's original position.
If i was him i would of called first and just said "where do you want your tap mate?"

Many thanks for your replies some of them did make me laugh. Time for diplomacy tomorrow, i suppose i don't wanna **** him off.

What make and size water softener is it festive.

where does the re-circulation water go ?

doitall said:
Incidentally don't let them fill the heating with softened water. :eek:

unless you have a boiler with a stainless steel heat exchanger that is

In answer to a few questions, yes i don't see why all of the plumbing wasn't routed internally?!? As its all going to be boxed under the stairs.

Secondly the make of the water softener is Ecowater 311.

As you can see, im holding the pipe that's labelled 'out' on the water softener connection, so im guessing this is the 'softened side' which is routing to the vertical garden tap pipe. So my boiler is being fed hardened water(top pipe running to my right in photo). Now. One other thought, shouldn't there be a scale inhibitor inline with the incoming feed to boiler? :?:

pipe2.jpg

and here you can see the tap going out, and how much more room there is to the left :confused:

pipe3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back