Central Heating Banging

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can anyone help.
When the central heating switches on after about 2-3 minutes there is banging noises from the pipes for about 5 seconds then stops and everything is o.k.
I have bled all the rads and the bled the valve by the H/W tank but its still happens.

As any body got any ideas.

Sponsored Links
Pipes rubbing against something as they expand.

when the central heating comes on, after about 5 miutes there is a whoosing sound then the pipes begin to bang for 5 -10 seconds then every thing works o.k.

ANy ideas?

You have given very little information, and your first post says something slightly different from your second (which did add a little more). Unless you tell us more about your system and the problem, it will be very difficult to help. Spend some time and then someone may give you the answer.

Sponsored Links
O.K. Here goes again...

When the central heating switches on after about 5 minutes there is a whoosing sound coming from the pipes followed by loud banging from the pipes for about 5 -10 secs.

After that everything seems o.k. (it only occurs when the heating first comes on)

I have bled the rads and got air out of them + the bleed valve near the hot water tank which again got air out of but the problem still occurs.

I have since bled the rads again and got air out of the same two rads as last time and the valve near hot water tank but no air of that.

The Boiler is about 17years old and is an Appolo.

About 2 months ago i had a plumber to look at the bolier becaused the piolt light wouldn't stay lit.

he said the thermo couple was fine but it was the wire connection ( Two wires) to a sensor off the termo couple that was loose he tightened the connection and it worked.

Since that everything was fine until the piolt light went outagain but i managed to re-light it the normal way and that is really where the problem started after that.

Hope that all makes sense....Any ideas?

Hope that i have described the problem better this time.

Just a thought is the pump working OK. I had a problem where the boiler fired but the pump was sluggish but didn't start until the water in the pipe boiled, banged, vibrated and kick started the pump

Wire to the sensor is a red herring. If the wire had been loose, the pilot will not establish. I wonder if your chap has bridges the connections so that the pilot will NOT go out. If this is the case, you have an unstable appliance.

What is basically happening is that the heat produced in the boiler is not being removed rapidly enough or is not being controlled. Take temeparture reading and verify if indeed the sensors are out of caliberation.

You can also run the boiler at lower power so that it does not bang

Assuming your noise is not just related to poor pipework installation i.e.
pipe expansion noise then I suggest firstly draining the system down.
You should use all available drain points and run a fresh supply of water through the system for at least an hour.
Then introduce a good quality sludge remover via the expansion tank and run the system for a few days and repeat the process until most debris is cleared. When complete apply a rust inhibitor and run the stem .
At all stages you will need to follow good draining down/refilling practice and bleed the radiators each time the system is run.
Pipe noise and boiler noise should improve significantly. Accelerating the circ pump will assist air removal with bleeding

Bon chance

Thanks for the advise.....

If it is that the sensors are out of calibration...How do you go about
rectifying the situaution?

I had this problem for several YEARS with our Apollo boiler - plumbers came and replaced the pump several times but the problem persisted on an intermittent basis - eventually the fault was cured by replacing the pump overrun thermostat - a small device about the size of a 10p located in the boilerhousing it is worth a try as these things are prone to sticking in either on or off

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back