Vokera Excel

But how will I get experience without doing these kind of jobs?

If its just washers and diaphrams, it cant be that hard can it? or can it lol!!?

Sponsored Links
Can you swim? Then try SCUBA diving without lessons. It's only air, water, valves. You won't die, probably!

If you want to learn, I doubt you'll find anyone to teach you, so if you feel confident, off you go. :)

Newcomers, I have been following the thread since you posted. Have read what others have suggested to you but find it hard to understand why you are reluctant to take advise.

If I were in your shoes, and I wanted to learn how the boiler works, I would do what I am told. So you might not make any profit this time, but surely, you will get to find out how the boiler bits interact. Next time you will know which part does what and you will be in pocket both in knowledge and pocket.

If you think this boiler is easy to work on, forget it. So toe the line, get the service kit and replace all the bits.

I advised him to pass this job by! But then I am 110% for customer service.

If he wants to gain experience without upsetting customers then find or buy an old boiler and carefully practice taking it apart and reassembling it at home.

My view is still that its a boiler for experts not novices.

I would approach it with trepidation if that helps!

Nor do I see any similarity with the Linea. Its a tricky thing with figure of eight washers and plastic moving bits.

The Linea is simple by comparisom. Remember some of the people "giving advice" here have never worked on them!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote

Nor do I see any similarity with the Linea

The last time i looked the diverter internals were extremely similar if not identical.

The rest of the boiler bares no resemblance

Remember some of the people "giving advice" here have never worked on them!

How do you know that Tony

The Linea diverter is driven by a motor actuator isn't it? And has nice metal bits similar to many other boilers?

The "diverter" in the Excell has the figure of eight washers and plastic moving bits?

Tony

Agile said:
The Linea diverter is driven by a motor actuator isn't it? And has nice metal bits similar to many other boilers?

The "diverter" in the Excell has the figure of eight washers and plastic moving bits?

Tony

I can see that you haven't had the linea diverter in bits then.

The motor on the linea does the same job as the fulcrum arm on the excell

Inside its the same, Bobbin etc

HOw am I not taking advice? Some are saying go for it, some are saying leave it, so no matter what I decide, I will end up not taking someones advice.

Personally it doesnt sound like much of a job but from what Ive read ive been put off and dont watch to start doing dodgy jobs and getting a bad name for myself, so I will pass this one on.

Thanks for the advice anyway

newcomers said:
Personally it doesnt sound like much of a job but from what Ive read ive been put off and dont watch to start doing dodgy jobs and getting a bad name for myself, so I will pass this one on.

Only you are able to judge your capabilities and make a decision. As well as knowing your limitations you have to consider the type of customer. If you think you can do it and the customer is not a fussy type then dont let me discourage you.

For example I have never needed to take apart a Linea diverter! I have fixed many Lineas but never ( yet ) a Linea diverter!

The probably difference is that I am not phased by a boiler which I have never seen before and I can confidently repair anything in front of the client if required.

Tony

Remember some of the people "giving advice" here have never worked on them!

People giving "advice" on this thread are:

Agile
ChrisR
scatmanjohn
DP

Who, in your opinion, has never worked on one?

You seem to have missed out Fella Kuti and Andsam!

Have we really got a posting without Softus or Water Systems or Dr Drivell ??? ( Yet )

Tony

Agile said:
You seem to have missed out Fella Kuti and Andsam!

Have we really got a posting without Softus or Water Systems or Dr Drivell ??? ( Yet )

Tony

I wouldn't call that "advice" as such.

As you know, Im new to this game but Im so keen to learn. Im not happy just fixing something, I like to know why it broke, how it works and how to fix it.

The job is well out of my area and its highly unlikely ill be doing work for the client again (its a favour for a mate whos doing work for an agent)

Can someone tell me why changing the parts mentioned (diaphrams, washers etc) is such a pain on this boiler, as I have done diaphrams and washers before (although not on this particular boiler)

Thanks again

newcomers said:
Can someone tell me why changing the parts mentioned (diaphrams, washers etc) is such a pain on this boiler, as I have done diaphrams and washers before (although not on this particular boiler)

Good question. Having only had 2 years exp int the "breakdown repairs" game myself so far, i havent really found much very difficult about changing the div kits on the Excell. There damn fidly tho and access is poor as hell, but in general i wouldnt say its the hardest job u'll ever encounter.

As u say its too far away anyways, but next time if u can get the time to spend changing these parts (trust me it can take a while !) i'd go for it, u'll never know otherwise.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back