Vokera Excel

newcomers said:
The job is well out of my area and its highly unlikely ill be doing work for the client again (its a favour for a mate whos doing work for an agent)

Could it be that your "mate" already knows that this boiler is not straightforward and thats why he does not want to do it himself?

Another thing, doing a questionable job outside your normal area increases the chance of having to make a return visit.

I am always hesitant about doing jobs for Agents, only today I had a call from one who clearly seemed to have questionable intentions about paying.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Good post scatmanjohn - decent advice on there.

Not THE scatmanjohn surely ?!?! :LOL:

skabadabadeadaesdaeadaesdadadsvadabaoooooooo lol

Trance Nation said:
Good post scatmanjohn - decent advice on there.

Not THE scatmanjohn surely ?!?! :LOL:

skabadabadeadaesdaeadaesdadadsvadabaoooooooo lol

I see you are aware of my work Trance Nation ;)

Sponsored Links
200px-Media_55.GIF

Do ya like me tash :LOL: :LOL:

A few more/different bits really, but if you're careful and if, as Tony says, the customer doesn't mind you taking a while over it then OK. I expect you'd be fine if you're used to bits coming apart and not forgetting what goes where. The Vokera manual /exploded diagram is better than most.

I would still back out of some jobs where I'm not familiar , if say late Friday, or a stoppy owner/tenant etc. But sometimes, especially if you have a connection with the user, you can explain that you know how it all works and you want to take your time, because you haven't done all of this job on this boiler blah blah, and you'll only charge for 1 hour or whatever. Then you get a chance to add to your repertoire, as DP says.

It's not like taking a Mercedes automatic gearbox to bits when you've only ever changed a spark plug!
Edit:
Just seen SMJ's description, and archived it for next time I have to do one. Ta. I'm inclined to forget between jobs... ;)

I took an Austin A35 van gearbox apart once and all these balls shot out all over the kitchen!

However, I found the faulty worn syncromesh cones and replaced them and all was fine until the big ends wore out.

Since then I have made sure that I never attempted to repair a manual gear box. Oddly the auto ones seem easier to repair as the faults are often more straightforward and on the hydraulic change devices rather than the basic gear train.

Now I would leave all gearboxes to the manufacturer's agent!

Tony

I took an Austin A35 van gearbox apart once and all these balls shot out all over the kitchen!

What did Mrs Glazier say about that.

Mrs scatmanjohn would never allow such a thing. ;)

Gearbox, Kitchen, whatever next

At that time "Mrs Glazier" was my Mother and she was away for the weekend!

To give him his due, my Father encouraged my similar activities with cars etc. probably as he would have wished he had the time and confidence to do them himself.

He did make his bicycle though and was the first in his school to cycle to London and when I was small I helped ( well watched and asked questions ) when he took the cylinder head off and reground the valves on his car.

He also made a TV using valves ( whats that? ) and then gave it to his parents and then made another but that was much quicker as it was a pretuned kit. He would not let me help much with that as I was probably a bit too young.

Tony

I find this boiler fairly straight forward compared to some of the other horrendous things out there. I had the same problem and replaced the bobbin and the washers and it was easy apart from 2 awkward screws on the diverter cover.

You have probably been to several Excells as they are common in Scotland and you have had 1.5 years intensive training with BG.

I would find it relatively straightforward but I would still not recommend it as a first job some way from home with a possibly difficult client.

Its a completely different unit from the usual diverter so there is no prior experience if you have not dealt with it before.

Once you have successfully done one then the next one is always easier.

I would never send a trainee on his own to do one of those if he had not done it before under supervision.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back