is this about right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all I am fairly new at this (not long passed ACS) and I am trying to price up a job and would appreciate some advice off some of you more experienced guys. The job is to take out a baxi back boiler, supply and fit worcester 28 condensing combi in back bedroom airing cupboard (told customer it's not an ideal place) run new gas pipe from meter, replace all rad valves, replace roomstat, powerflush system, remove all rubbish etc. My intentions are to do the work to as high a standard as possible, so that I may be invited back in future or recommended on, and obviously to price accordingly. The corgi lad who I still work with is a bit hit and miss on pricing, so I am trying to do this part of the job myself. Anyway I am thinking in terms of about one thousand pounds labour plus materials, I reckon this would take it to about two thousand one hundred pounds or so, yet around here (merseyside) you can have a full system installed for less than that, and the customer may think that it's a bit pricey. What do you lads think, also have I missed anything, cheers for any replies ray.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like it's in the ballpark (right area). Remember there are lots of extra bits and pieces to do - condensate drainage, flushing and cleansing system, possible flue extensions (pluming), commissioning, benchmark, notification, etc.

Beyond that it's a question of how badly you want the work. If you're starting out you might want to be a bit more competitive - better to be working for something than twiddling your thumbs for nothing. And you'll be building up goodwill, experience and a good reputation.

2K or not
That is your price ,
NEVER EVER BE ASHAMED AT WORKING TO A PRICE ...

there are either scum or educated ,
give estimates ,
then as he says this or that ,
gauge it ,
an tell him you can go cowboy way or proper way ,

+ work on his property will be in a 1st class condition , 12months guarantee (at least )...

explain cheap an bodgeit charlie ,
They WILL do a cheap awful job ,
but are NOT corgi regd ,
your house is a waste land with out sign off on work now ...FACT !!!

Tell them the customer after a quick call , need to book them in now for future work ...Booked in

hope this helps
:)

Sponsored Links
Moz said:
2K or not
That is your price ,
NEVER EVER BE ASHAMED AT WORKING TO A PRICE ...

there are either scum or educated ,
give estimates ,
then as he says this or that ,
gauge it ,
an tell him you can go cowboy way or proper way ,

+ work on his property will be in a 1st class condition , 12months guarantee (at least )...

explain cheap an bodgeit charlie ,
They WILL do a cheap awful job ,
but are NOT corgi regd ,
your house is a waste land with out sign off on work now ...FACT !!!

Tell them the customer after a quick call , need to book them in now for future work ...Booked in

hope this helps
:)

here bloody here

I think we all undercharge for our services, be it service, breakdown or installation anyway

This sort of job is a lot more work than a standard combi swap, but as you are starting out I would treat it as a great learning excercise and price it to get it this time. Go a little lower just this once. Say £1800 and you'll definately get it.

It could take you 4 days.

My first combi swap took me two full days, what a wally I was then, but I only got better by doing the work, I've not stopped working solidly day in day out since then so now the hands do the work on their own.

Plenty of time to command better prices. When I started I had to take every opportunity, make sure I won every job, now I price to be a winner with the bank manager, but you can't be that bold at the start.

Take everything offered, respond fast to every lead, and give a fast polite service. Nothing generates work better than work, most of your work leeds to more work, so only by actually being out there doing the work does it find you.

Still a lot of people don't ring mobiles, 1/2 my good leeds come off the answerphone. The other guys don't seem to even get back to them. Soon as you get in, ring them be efficient and polite, move everything asside to go and do the estimate, submit it, so many guys don't submit it. You'll get most of the jobs. Then you can afford to be choosy later.

thanks for the replies lads, lots of good advice there for me to mull over. ray
fitz I'm in huyton at the moment

I seem to be missing the point of who is going to register the job with corgi. the op has stated that he is new at this , currently passing his ACS and works for a Corgi instaler. Yet he doesnt' mention if he is Corgi registered or if his boss will commisision his work and register for him. Really he shouldn't be considering quoting if hes not registered. Yes he's competent but should be only too aware of the rules.

you will need to make a judgement about the people your working for in respect to price expectation.Also depends on how much you want the job and you will need to sell yourself more than selling the job.Also as previous post , you will need a corgi to comission the work .2000 for a conversion around these parts may be on the high side , so sell the job.i:e - good quality boiler, powerflushing,water treatment,energy efficiency, easier and better control(trvs,R/stat)I find they like the programmable R/stats.etc etc

Sooey, have you perfected the sharp intake of breath and whistling through the teeth yet ?

lcgs I should have made it clearer, I have passed the ACS, I work on and off with a friend who is corgi registered, I am self employed as he is, whenever I do any gas work he comes in and we do it together so obviously he signs it off and notifies, takes responsibility etc. As my mate is a bit of a lazy bugger, he would be quite happy to let me do all the running around in the evening quoting etc, and this suits me as I get a lot of advantages from working with him, and also I want to get the experience of actually being able to go into peoples houses and discuss their options, and learning how to quote for a job. So all in all were both pretty happy with the arrangements as they are, and we both know that eventually I will be doing my own work alone (once I am corgi registered of course) as I am not planning on staying in liverpool for much longer. The point of all this being that I wouldn't contemplate doing any gas work until after I am registered in my own right, and only then when I feel competent. hope this answers your queries ray

im about to convert to a 38KW combi and p/r/stat on a job and thats in rainhill and its going to be between 1600 and 2000.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back