potterton profile 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi newbie here so please go easy with me!

my boiler does not fire up correctly. when powered up the normal sequence of events happens; the fan runs ok, the pressure switch operates, the gas valve opens (the gas meter also shows gas usage) but there is no spark. the gas valve seems to click about every 20 seconds. sometimes the thing will ignite after maybe 5 - 6 goes and then all unburnt gas ignites at the same time!

when it does fire up it usually stops again after a short period of time - any help appreciated :D

Sponsored Links
as the dog ,monitiers sites its the therm ...

That dog banned me offering advise at TT an Screw , I was well known there .......til I got a banning order , they then booted me ....
Stop Posting Gas regs , never from not adhereing the Gas regds

Don't worry dexion, its alcohol. If what you're saying about your boiler is correct I wouldn't stand too close to it when trying to ignite it ! Seems as though the ignition process is a bit out, the main gas valve should never open b4 the pilot has been proved. Might be best to get some corgi help, sounds like a gas valve or pcb problem from here. I have known of cases being blown off these, quite spectacular!

Sponsored Links
thanks for the help. i did some searches on here and several peeps with similar problems have goten pointers to a pcb fault. some advice suggested that the pcb was prone to dry joints so i took it out and had a look. could't see any dry joints but reflowed all solder anyway and it now works reliably!

gasmarkone - good point, as the the gas was flowing with no ignition and after several seconds it somtimes would ignite with all previoulsy released but unburnt gas igniting at the same time there was the promise of the cover coming off!

There is a fault condition on the pcb which can occur if the APS operates before the relay on the pcb, it opens the pilot and main valve without sparking

This is due to a capacitor on the pcb dying

recon pcb ...

We've sourced recon PCBs for Potterton - possibly from Raden's outfit - for some years and have never had a duffer.

Which is more than I can say for the new parts direct from the manufacturer, whom we refer to as the 'Prince of Darkness'. I've recently seen two (expensive) rework kits for Suprima 120 with new faults, straight out of the Interpart box.

Providing the customer is given the choice of a new or recon - and the recon is obviously cheaper - and the warranty is the same I can't see a problem*. There is a vast difference between 'board level' and 'component level' competances and most of the criticisms of the recon route come from the board swappers, who have opinions but no electronics skills.

*NB: Perhaps an exception would be the infamous Suprima where the manufacturer seems to regularly bring out a completely new PCB kit in an effort to improve reliability.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back