new hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just bought a De Dietrich hob, the DTI304, i won't be installing it myself however, i'm confused about the wiring, it is supplied, fitted, with a 1.5mm wire which consists of one blue & one brown which are connected together a metal tab which are identified in the book as neutral, two black wires which are connected together a metal tab which are identified in the book as phase and one single wire green/yellow, this is the only one i understand! as this hob is rated as 5.9kw why is a 1.5mm fitted? also the book seems to suggest "plugging it in", surely this can't be right. any help would be appreciated. :?:

Sponsored Links
did it come with this 1.5mm cable attached, it wasn't just on to test the unit.
1.5mm flex is rated at 16 amps or so, therefore it will not take 5.9 KW unless the element are interlocked so that only some can be on at the same time and therefore wont take over 3 KW at any one time. have you got the installation book you could scan and post?

Sounds like a three phase hob...

(that may or may not have been rather badly converted to SP [your post isn't exactly that easy to follow])

thanx guys, in answer to your points, i bought this from john lewis this morning brand new with the wire attached. the booklet only shows wiring as explained in first letter. there is a three phase wiring instruction in the book in which the black wires are split for phase one & phase 2 the blue & brown stay together and go to neutral and yellow/green goes to earth. i thought tha the flex is under rated. in the book it has the following info:
220-240 V monophase
fuse:32/16amp

thanx for you help guys

Sponsored Links
monophase sounds right. But there's a big difference between 32 and 16A!!

5.9 = nearly 26A. So 2.5 minimum.

i agree "there's a big difference between 32 and 16A!!" even if the sparks connects 2.5mm from the switch to the cu i still see the fitted 1.5mm as a weak link and possible fire risk? does it have any baring that this hob is an induction type?

No good asking WavyDavy. He made 3 posts in August last year as a DIYer wanting help. Chances are, he probably will never come to this forum again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back