Air Flow Bathroom Extractor problem.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has any one else had any problems with the above mentioned bathroom extractor?
It has PIR,Timer and Humidity stat and is one of these slim line ones where the vents slowly open on power up.
Different modules are available depending on what you need it to do.
The problem is when it is wired to the diagram it continously runs even with the PIR covered up,the stat turned right down and the timer also right down.
The module has been replaced today with a new one and the problem is the same.
I have live,switched live and neutral and moving the switched live(yellow) over to the perminent terminal on the fan switches it on and off via the light switch as you would expect.

Any ideas as surely a second module can`t have the same fault as the original???

Sponsored Links
and what is the other end of the yellow wire connected to?

also what happens if you leave the yellow wire off ? (it should never start)

i am thinking there is a voltage coming down the yellow wire, by removing it you will prove it

The yellow wire goes to the ceiling rose(connected to one side of the lamp) and is only live when the pull switch is operated.
You can leave the yellow off and the fan will just run continuosly.

I wonder if it has some kind of switch or link to give continuous running? Or might you have turned an adjuster the wrong way?

Sponsored Links
malc1 said:
The yellow wire goes to the ceiling rose(connected to one side of the lamp) and is only live when the pull switch is operated.
You can leave the yellow off and the fan will just run continuosly.

that being the case it must be the timer, since it carries on running, or as JohnD suggests a link / switch in wrong position.

i am also curious as to how it runs if you have the yellow wire off, switch off supply remove yellow wire switch supply on what happens?

The timer adjustment is a straight forward min and max where the least amount of time is supposed to be 1 minute.
The humidity stat is 90% which is max and 40% which I have set at the moment.
There are no internal links to be found just the three wires on to the removable module,marked up L,N and T.
Could anything be reversed up on the light or ceiling rose?
It is running continously at the moment with just the red and black connected to L and N.The yellow which seems to only be live when the light is on has been removed.
Thing is I want it to work with out having to turn the light on...

malc1 said:
...The humidity stat is 90% which is max and 40% which I have set at the moment......

set it to 90

90 is moist and 40 is dry.

If you have it set to 40 it will come on even when the bathroom is dry... i.e. all the time.

what does the T terminal do, what does it say in the paperwork?

what make is the fan, is it a round fan housing not he usually square type?

one side of the pull switch and one side of the lamp??? if you are wiring it to the wrong side of the pull switch it will be on all the time.

senate keep these fans i am going there in morning i will as of any problems they know or simple mistakes they know can happen

Many thanks.
I will continue to play around with the thing for a bit longer,if no joy I`ll go and get it changed again.

I fit loads of these and occasionally I have had a faulty module.

Most of the points I think have been covered but I'll recap and hope I'm not teaching you to suck eggs.

On the module.

L is permanent live
N is neutral
T is the trigger supply from the output of the light switch.

The humidistat should be turned to max 90%
The timer should be set to min
The small Icon badge should be removed and the clear one that came with the module should be fitted.

Refit the cover and switch on the permanent supply. If you are in the room the fan will run due to the PIR sensor operating.

You have to leave the room until it goes off.

If thats ok you need to cover the sensor, wait for the fan to stop and then set the timer(from the light) and then turn down the humidistat to the point you want it to operate.

once thats done remove the cover from the PIR sensor.

It can take a while.

Hope this helps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back