Is my hot water cylinder male or female help me please!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
See attached image, not sure what connection i have on my hot water cylinder, i have bought a 22mm surrey flange assuming it was a female tank, but now looking at it again i am not so sure? Anyone got a definite answer. The pipe connecting hot water is held in with compression fitting?
IMG_1364.JPG
[/img]

Sponsored Links
The hex undoes from the metal ring you can only just see. Suggest you heat it with a heat gun - carefully because the foam burns.
You then have a 1" female I think, so you'll either need a bush for your Surrey Flange or a bigger one if its thread is 3/4" (which measures about 1" across!)
Or save yourself a lot of trouble and look at an Essex flange which goes in the side of the tank (do a search), or a Warix which goes in the top but can be easier to fit & plumb becasue the 2 outlet pipes are swapped.

Its a male fitting that screws into the cylinder.

Therefore the cylinder has a female thread

Thanks guys, i currently have in my hands a 22mm male surrey flange.

But it looks like getting the fitting off of the tank is going to be a knightmare because of corrosion etc.

Has anyone got any good suggestions except the application of heat in order for me to get the darn thing off?

I think is i get a set of stilsons on it it may rip the tank? what are peoples thoughts on that?

Also do i need to use joint compound on the surrey flange? the shower pump manufacturer is like oh no dont use joint compound anywhere as it cocks the pump impellers up?

Sponsored Links
The pipey bit of what you have is 22mm but the thread which goes into the tank is an imperial size. Yours may be 3/4 as I said, bit again, I think you'll find the thread in the tank is 1".

But it looks like getting the fitting off of the tank is going to be a knightmare because of corrosion etc.
Has anyone got any good suggestions except the application of heat in order for me to get the darn thing off?
I think is i get a set of stilsons on it it may rip the tank? what are peoples thoughts on that?
Quite. Hence suggestion of Essex flange! Just needs a 1½" hole in the side of the tank and you screw it in. All done before your coffee goes cold, and works better than a surrey.

Don't empty the cylinder, the weight will help to hold it together :LOL:

Large spanner and it will come out no probs cough cough :rolleyes:

You need PTFE tape tape in the thread, and jointing compound on the olive.

ChrisR thanks for you suggestion, but i have already falked out £30 for a surrey flange and i kind of wanted to get it all done today :(

With the essex i would also need to partially drain my tank and i have no idea how to do that? or just let the water get mopped up with towels?

If i can i would prefer to use surrey for supposedly easy fitting.

I should be able to get an adaptor shouldnt i? to take imperial to whatwever is on the end of my surrey?

you've just been told what you need to do by two people who know exactly what they are talking about, any further comments would be superfluous.

cheers. cant see properly .need a 42 inch screen to see everything.take ages to flick through posts.dont no why everything is so big on that post.by the way im being in a couldnt be arsed mood as well

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back