question about soldering copper tubing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just ran to the hardware store to buy some solder before they closed for the weekend, hoping to get a leg up on my plumbing project this weekend. I went without my reading glasses and when i got home i saw that the roll of solder i had bought has 3.5% silver. I thought "no problem".

It does behave differently than the other solder I was using on this plumbing project. Needs much more heat and doesn't flow as nice. Have I made a booboo or will this still be ok? Won't be able to test my joints until I complete the circuit next week. But i could use the info to continue or stop until the shops re-open on Monday.

thx.

Sponsored Links
Don't know exactly what you have there but you might need a higher temperature flux, the normal one could have burned away.
Suggest you take a joint apart and see if it was all "tinned". If so, you're OK.

Could be right. It'll be thin if it is, about 0.5 to 1.5mm diameter. It would usually have its own flux in cores inside it, and it works fine on copper pipe with no extra flux as long as everything's really cleaned well.

Sponsored Links
the roll says SN-AG. (tin-silver) then it says silver 3,5%

You probably had leaded solder before (which you should not use on potable water although it's OK for gas and CH). Now you have lead-free, which is mostly tin (Sn) with a small amount of silver (Ag). As you say, it doesn't run as easily but it will be fine if your soldering technique is up to scratch.

Gordon bennett :LOL: :LOL:

You have a roll of silver solder.

much stronger joint than lead free, and perfectly ok to use in the same way.

Just requires a tad more heat as you have noticed.

When you put the glasses back on you will notice the price was higher as well. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ok, thanks so much people. I have been using it after reading the posts and finding out what it is. Boy do I do a sloppy job with this new stuff. In some way due to the fact that i'm using a torch outside, slight breeze but enough to cut out my flame every now and then. And in another way cause I'm just not used to this stuff.

>When you put the glasses back on you will notice the price was higher as well.

LOL

thx.

bardos said:
ok, thanks so much people. I have been using it after reading the posts and finding out what it is. Boy do I do a sloppy job with this new stuff. In some way due to the fact that i'm using a torch outside, slight breeze but enough to cut out my flame every now and then. And in another way cause I'm just not used to this stuff.

>When you put the glasses back on you will notice the price was higher as well.

LOL

thx.

This doesn't sound good :eek:

You need plenty of heat or you're in trouble, any cold spots it will not run into the fitting.

i'll be testing the circuiit next week, see what happens. My major problem at the moment is a 120 or so degree angle i have to turn. Not sure how i'm gonna do that.

bardos said:
i'll be testing the circuiit next week, see what happens. My major problem at the moment is a 120 or so degree angle i have to turn. Not sure how i'm gonna do that.

without the use of a bender, 2 No elbows :cool: 1 looking up, and the other at the angle you want :rolleyes:

true. doitall saved my bee you tee tee. Funny about things like that. You don't see them. someone points it out and then it's so obvious. you wonder why you didn't see it yourself. lovely. I'm glad i was able to learn something new here. that's one of the reaons why i love forums.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back